Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 went for an exam >

went for an exam

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

went for an exam

Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default went for an exam

well, I went in for an exam for my crossbow permit and came away kind of unimpressed with their proceedure fordoing that exam...

years ago(1988) I was in a bad motorcycle accident which, along withseveral other things, I pretty much crushed the wholeupper right side of my body, all the bones in my shoulder and ribcage were broken multiple times and I've had problems with pulling a bow back since, especially one with any significant poundage...
also about 6 years ago Iseperated the same shoulder really bad which took about a year toget back into any decent shape and I still have problems with it, that dropped my ability to shoot a compoundin any sort of hunting situation down even further, but none of that seemed to be a concern...

what they seemed to want to make the biggest deal out of was my recent wrist injury which in itself is bad enough(I'm considered 10% permanantly disabled just for my wrist alone) butI'vebroken that same wrist 3 times in the past, which also didnt seem to be a concern,I've also brokemy right hand once, which also wasnt a concern

I would think that as much as I've beaten myself up over the years and with the problems I have because of it that getting a permit wouldnt be much of a problem but all they did was range of motion on my shoulder which shoulder flextion was 76% of full, which has a "pass" on it... shoulder abduction was 72% offull, which has a "pass"on it... my elbow was fine but my wrist flexion was 30% of full, which failed, and my wrist extension was 50% of full which also failed, my gripstrength was 145# on theleft and only 86# on the right, which passed...

not taking into account the actual problems I have, looking at it "on paper" and "by the book"I dont know if it will be enough to get me one...

this was a physical therapist and not an actual doctor, I'm thinking about going and talking to an actual doctor before I send in the form and see what he thinks...

whats your guys opinion?

this is in wisconsin by the way...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: went for an exam

Ouch...plus its Wasconsin.....Thats a tuff one....Wish I could help you out I didnt have a prob in Mn,but it might be harder to get a perminant one....will see how I come out of mysurgery.If you dont get it the 1st round try again thru a differant Doc.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it is worth it or not but how about getting a lawyer to draft a letter requesting that the powers to be to explain why you were rejected?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

i would talk to my family doctor. i know i live in pennsylvania and my doctor is in new york state. he did'nt have to measure range of motion or anything of the sort.....he simply said that in his opinion i was physically unable to hunt with a conventional bow. case closed.....pa sent me a permit no questions asked. best of luck to you.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Too bad they don't make the compound guys get approval before they get a license. I mean if they can shoot a stick bow then they shouldn't be allowed to use a compound. I'm being sarcastic but it's a shame one must fail a process just to go participate in a recreational activity on one's own property. I like the 76% part, so if you have say 34% pain making a shot with a compound that's ok? Just goes to show how the compound hunters have fooled everyone so long it's taken as truth. Hunting is not an event that requires a rite of passage to enjoy.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: shewe

i would talk to my family doctor. i know i live in pennsylvania and my doctor is in new york state. he did'nt have to measure range of motion or anything of the sort.....he simply said that in his opinion i was physically unable to hunt with a conventional bow. case closed.....pa sent me a permit no questions asked. best of luck to you.
Same here I printed the forms off the computer and went to my doctor and he filled out the forms and I mailed them in and they sent me my permit, this was in North Carolina.

Martin
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Boy, what's with that therapist you saw? He did alot work for something so inconsequential. It's not like your trying to cheat some $$$ out of worker's comp or an insurance company. I'm with these guys, go see a physician. What a jerk.[:@]
Old 05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

employers are checking into if you are claiming you have injury and reporting it for permit..
at your physicals you are to tell doctor this,MANY are not because they could lose their jobs..

i heard a few guys lost their claim at work for injury because they said they had injury and got permit ,then later ,years on they said they got hurt at work..

employers are watching everything now to deny you a lawsuit claim or disability at work..

so, be very careful if you get permit for bow and then at work tell them you are not hurt or disabled,then later on say you are hurt at work etc..
Old 05-31-2007, 09:28 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

well, I went to see the chiropractor today to see whats up, I've dealt with her many times over the years and she knows my situation pretty well andaccording to her alot of the "passes" I got from the PT shouldnt have been and she said I'd be more than eligible for a permit, I have to run the form down to her tomorrow and she said she'd take care of it

so, things are looking up as far as this situation goes I guess, now all I have to do is get my crossbow...
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to know things got straightened out for you. Having to jump through hoops sucks!