Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 anyone ever tried this? >

anyone ever tried this?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

anyone ever tried this?

Old 05-13-2007, 05:24 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default anyone ever tried this?

I'm fairly new to crossbows so maybe they already make something like this(although I havent seen one yet)or maybe its been tried and just doesnt work... but I was shooting my brothers horton once again today andcame to the conclusionthat the arrow retaining system leaves a little to be desired, especially if your not still hunting with the crossbow,and I've noticed that most crossbaows have the same basic retaining system...
alot of my bowhunting involves stalking, especially small game and having the arrow a little more stabil while walking would be nice, so I was thinking why not mount something like a whisker biscuit arrow rest at the front of the crossbow between the limbs to add a little more stabilization to the arrow and keep it from bouncing around, moving, and slidingforward

anyone tried this and does it work?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone ever tried this?

KLS, do you feel that the bow was not accurate enough? How big is the grouping and were you using a scope?
I haven't tried to make my Excals more accurate because I don't think it can be made much more accurate. I would certainly be interested to see any results of your efforts though!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

KLS, do you feel that the bow was not accurate enough? How big is the grouping and were you using a scope?
I haven't tried to make my Excals more accurate because I don't think it can be made much more accurate. I would certainly be interested to see any results of your efforts though!
I think he was referring to the arrow moving and making noise on the rail, i have the same problem! once when i was stand hunting i leaned my crossbow downwards when i stood up and my arrow plunged to the forrest floor[:@]I think that would be a great idea but where would you mount the sucker?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

yeah it wouldjust be for holding the arrow more secure while its in the bow
I was also thinking you could use one of those arrow holders that can be used with TM style rests, the ones that hold the arrow on the rest then flip up out of the way when the arrow is fired, either one of those or a whisker biscuit would work pretty good I think...

I dont have a crossbow yet but I have an excalibur on the list and should be able to swing it in a couple weeksso at this timeI have no idea how or where it couldbe mounted, I do know that I'm more than likely going to be hunting alot withit and as mobile as I usually am somethings going to have to be done to help hold the arrow on the rail a little better...

fortunately my best friend is a machinist and works in a machine shop so rigging up some kind of mount shouldnt be too much of a problem...

I hope...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You won't need it if you get an Excalibur. I've never tried to shake an arrow loose in other bows but you have to be pretty unreasonable with an Excalibur to make the arrow rattle.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What if you cut a Whisker Biscuit in half,hinged it on one side at the
front of the rail where you could flop it over after loading the arrow
the arrow should pass thru with out any effect from the whisker!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't need it if you get an Excalibur. I've never tried to shake an arrow loose in other bows but you have to be pretty unreasonable with an Excalibur to make the arrow rattle.
Ding, Ding, got a winner guys!! Aslong as your retention clip is not bent w/ an Excal [1/4" above rail] your arrow will not move or rattle unless you go to some extreme trouble!! Same goes for 10 pts from what I know... Any changes you make to a stock setup will cost you somewhere.Have Fun!!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

well thats good to hear...

like I said I'm fairly new to crossbows and I wasnt really looking forward to having to rig something up unless I had to anyway and if it isnt needed on an excalibur then thats just one more reasonto like it, and I havent even held one yet...

I know that horton of my brothers would have to have something done to help hold the arrow on the rail, he likes it but thefactory setup on that for holding the arrow just wouldnt work well for me
Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 PM

Hey...I just had an idea. I have had this problem while stalking game, esp. when I turn my crossbow sideways to get through brush. What about one of those arrow holders for a verticle bow? One is called a Kwik-Loc Arrow holder. I've usually seen them mounted on traditional bows. It usually is mounted on the belly (side facing you) of the riser and pops off as you draw back. I think on a crossbow it would need to be manually popped off before you shoot so it wouldn't hinder the flight of the bolt, but maybe not. I may have to try it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Ihaveused Excalibur for over 23 years and with the same bow, but I have shot many other excalibur bows during that time. Like it was said above, unless you really bang, knock the bow around, your arrow should not slip on the deck. I do carry the bow while walking through the bush, ready to shoot, so the arrow not slipping to me is important.

I am not saying that you will not have a problem with an Excalibur, I always carefully check mine every once in a while to make sure the arow has not slipped forward (just a good practice to get into). With the excalibur, if the arrow seems loose on the deck, slightly bend the retaining clip toward the deck a little bit (do not need much pressure). I am not sure if ou can do this with the other bows.

Remember for you speed freeks out there, that everything you add that applies pressure to the arrow (actual friction) will slow it down. It is a give and take. Like was mentioned above, mostcrossbow manufactures use that sustem because they probually feel that it is the best systemin holding the arrow with the least resistance on the arrow.

Good luck and enjoy the crossbow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.