Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow ?

Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Arrow ?

Here's the low down . I'm shooting carbon express out of a Barnett Rhino . The arrow track is grinding or scraping the rear of the arrows . There are two grooves begining at the nock and extend forward about an 1" to 1.5" . Thus making the wall of the arrow thinner . Is this normal for a carbon arrow ? I think I'm going to switch to aluminum , even tho I prefer carbon for every other application . So - is it the arrow , the bow or the operator ? Thanks .
Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow ?

All of my nocks show wear, buy not the actual carbon. Is there something exerting force down on the arrow as it is released? Maybe the rail is rougher than it should be?
Carbon should not be wearing noticeably, not with normal use.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Sometimes the helical or the offset, cant remember which can cause it. The curve of the vane can push the arrow to the one side causing it. But this usually only makes a mark on one side, and never really a deep scratch.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 PM

I just had a thought - what if it's the nocks ? These are the half moon type . I've seen some flat ones - what are those for ,, and can I use them ?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Where did your arrows come from? I wouldn't switch to flat nocks until we figure out what the problem is.
Are your nocks sitting parallel to the rail? I mean, when the string rests in the nocks does it sit flat? I still can't see that wearing out carbon though..
Someone will come by soon that actually knows whats happening, I am guessing it will be GrumpyTom with the answer. Don't give up on the carbon just yet.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only wear i have had with my Phoenix was from 11 degree helical 5" feathers. They would wear on arrow slot channel. I cut them back to 4" and no wear. OK Barnett users step up and answer please.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Here's the low down . I'm shooting carbon express out of a Barnett Rhino."

The Barnett Rhino was my first crossbow and i fired it many hundreds of times with no problems. Killed some deer and hogs with it. Something is probably wrong with the track.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do not use flatnocks in a Barnett! You may get away w/ it but eventually the string will jump over the arrow and it will result in a partial/full dry fire. Check your tiller [string square to rail] Minor rub marks are normal, but like said you may have a rough spot in track. Good luck, hope you figure it out.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

It could be that your retension spring is pushing down too hard and only causing wear on the back part of the arrow. I agree, do NOT switch to flat nocks.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

It could be that your retension spring is pushing down on the arrow too much.
I agree, do not switch to flat nocks.
Randy

Quick Reply: Arrow ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.