Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I am ready for turkey season. >

I am ready for turkey season.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I am ready for turkey season.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default I am ready for turkey season.

So is my bow, and so are the birds..

My house is the first on a long country road, one side of the road is lined in perfectly straight cedars, my neighbor, a tobacco farmer, lined his whole farm (my hunting property) with them for a wind break. Anyways, I took the wifes van out of the driveway put it in gear and immediately saw two birds in a driveway that goes between the cedars.. I debated stopping and trying to sneak a peek but decided it would be best to keep going and try to see them from farther away with binocs..
I drove 100 yards farther to a small gap in the trees that is just big enough for a person to squeeze in and looked down towards the birds, they were walking the treeline straight towards me. 75 yards now, I am standing in the gap looking down, I went back to the van, shut it off and picked up my camera, crawled back in till I could see them and waited..2 minutes later 3 birds walked past me and my camera getting as close to me as a couple feet, I have no doubt I could have grabbed one if I tried.
The best part was the sounds, happy as could be they strolled right in front of me, I had on a blue work coat, jeans and an old work hat.. I was snapping pictures like a madman and far from hidden. One bird seemed to notice me but didn't flinch, just kept moving along. 10 days from now this would have had a very different ending.

Here is a photo looking down my road towards my house, I am standing at a pond (it's on the left) and just past it on the left you can see where the row of cedars start, my property is on the other side of the road. The big tree that looks like it's in th middle of the road way down there is on my front lawn. I found the birds half way between.. If you look real close you can see my camper, where I sat last night for hours around the fireand practiced on my slate call.
A photo of the birds with no zoom too. I am not going to be able to sleep for the next week...

Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I am ready for turkey season.

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

If you look real close you can see my camper, where I sat last night for hours around the fireand practiced on my slate call.
A photo of the birds with no zoom too. I am not going to be able to sleep for the next week...

Great pic's David! Wishing you the best of luck and a safe hunt!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the good wishes Reb..

Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

ty for the great pics. hope those birds are there for you when the season opens. good hunting.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Seems easy doesn't it David?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Great story David. It had me glued to every word to find out what happened. You ever wrote a mystery novel? LOL. Hope you see their boyfriend next week, but you know, he's probably not as sociable as his mistresses. Good Luck to ya.
BBO
Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

I am just gearing up for an evening walk..
Took the wife down there in the van today on the way to town for dinner, spotted what I thought was a deer way out there.. Then it shrunk. It was the wife who said "it's a turkey, and here come two more!" and two came out of the tree line. He was way out there but it was magnificent! First time I saw a bird strut.. I will show pictures of where tomorrow, right now I have a date with a flashlight and a crow call.