Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Turkey Hunt

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey Hunt

Just wonder if anyone has had sucsess hunting birds? Easter Sun. afternoon, took the X-bow, one slate, mouth call's and bino's and off I went. Rounded the bend in the field, BIRDS. Eased through the wood line, got set up, called a Jake from the flock to within 20yds. Let arrow fly, dead on target. Saw feathers come from other side, bird took 3 steps and went to flight. Bird and arrow never to be seen again. Will have to get me some of those grapplers!!!! Not as easey as it is written here, this all took about an hour or so to unfold. Not easey to crawl around with x-bow and thing's without getting caught. All and all alot of leasons learned!!Bill
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Hunt

Isn't spot and stalk on trukeys a rush?!!! I love it! Use the biggest broadhead you can fire. I've taken one with a Wasp Jackhammer without grapplers and it didn't go far. Have fun!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Yes sir it is. Have done it many times with shotgun, that was a first with x-bow. Will switch to expandable broadhead for larger cutting dia. and add grappler. Hate the feeling of loosing game. Bill
Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you saw the jakes line of flite you could follow it and they seldom make couple hundred yds. on the wing!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I'm jealous..
I am counting hours till opening day, I think I have everything I need for a decent days hunting ready to go..
I saw some 4" mechanical broadheads in the shop today, pretty tempting. I can't see how a mechanical can open up quick enough to do damage on a neck shot.. I need to learn more about mechanicals I guess.
I spent the afternoon in the range tweaking my broadheads and grapplers.. I have settled on using Slicks with Zwickey grapplers.. They shoot perfect out to 20 yards and hit like a hammer.
Ihave a CD here right now called "Archery Gobblers" and it is hard core turkey hunting... Lots of tips on stalking, calling and just plain old hunting, mostly crossbow for Turkeys but it has some shotgun turkey as well as deer. If I can get it out of the CD player for more than 5 minutes I will offer it up for a pass around..

Glad to see you are already at it rediredarmy, looks like you may want to add some grapplers, I hear real good things about the guillutines too.. I just can't see spending more money on these darn birds.. I told my wife my first turkey is going to cost abot 3K, she says, "and how much if you don't get one??" KFC I guess.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

can anyone post a pic of a grappler? can't seem to find them online. just curious. i've got some "add ons" that go behind the point or broadhead toreduce penetration. wondering if that is the same item you guys are talking about?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

One on the table, two in the package, and one mounted to slick Trick.. Hope this photo helps.

ORIGINAL: shewe

can anyone post a pic of a grappler? can't seem to find them online. just curious. i've got some "add ons" that go behind the point or broadhead toreduce penetration. wondering if that is the same item you guys are talking about?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

ah ty much. i found the ones i use. they are called "add-ons". they are made by neet. www.bowhunterssuperstore has them. those you showed in the pic almost look like a judo point.[8D]
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

If the bird flocked off with retiredarmy's arrow this may not have done any good anyways, the difference between this and a judo is the wire on a judo is fixed, this is made to slide on the shaft to help prevent a pass through, ideally it should stay at the contact surface while the arrow continues to penetrate.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

David, I see yours are sized for 21 or 20/64ths. Since I'm thinking you are using GT's, how do they work for you on a target? I would think they might not want to slide on a turkey, but rather go into the bird???? Bet those are fun to slide on the shaft!!

Quick Reply: Turkey Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.