Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I'm looking for a little advise... >

I'm looking for a little advise...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I'm looking for a little advise...

Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default I'm looking for a little advise...

I've been looking for a crossbow for hunting this year, I've finally hurt myself to the point that I think a crossbow may be the way to go, at least for this year anyway...
I've been eligible for a permit since 1988 and have thought off and on about getting one over the years anyway so I guess this isa good excuse...

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Horton explorer or a PSE rattler, my father has a Horton explorer and it seems pretty decent and I've read some decent reviews, I've looked at Horton summitsand Ididnt think much of them though... I've been looking pretty hard at that PSE rattler for a number of reasons, the problem is that there is very little info on it, or any that I can find anyway,and noone seems to know much about it so obviouslyI was wondering how it compares to the Horton, I'm looking more at things like overall quality, balance, trigger quality, accuracy, ease of use, dependability, inherent problems, basically the pros and cons of both in the use of deer/smallgame hunting and not just things like top bolt speed

I found a Darton that IREALLY liked, and I'm a big Darton fan, but I'm not spending $700 on a crossbow only to find out that it really isnt my thing and then it just sits in the closet unused, I'll probably go that route in the future though if I find that I'm going to stick tocrossbow hunting(which I'm sure is going to be the case)

thanks for any help...
Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm looking for a little advise...

KLS, I been bow hunting over 30 years, when I decided to get a xbow, I was all set to buy a brand name compound crossbow till I started reading and asking questions, I ended up with a Excalibur Vixen and glad I didn't go with the compound. I suggest you do a lot of research before you buy. Just my $.02's[/align] Good Luck[/align] Joe[/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

KLS, do a research of the Pros & Cons between Compounds and Re-Curves? Asking on here is only going to cause everyone to tell you about theirs!

Yes, every X-bow kills game, but which ones are easier to maintain?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you need to use a crank the best is 10 point,if you can use a rope cocker the you get the best bow for price with Excaliber. Horton is ok if you get the top end but the top end are expensive much more so than Excaliber.
check here for good prices
http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/index.php?cPath=40_145
Lee
Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

KLS, just to be very honest with you, sounds to me like you're scared to spend big money on what you want. If you buy a low cost xbow and find you like xbow shooting/hunting, then want a higher cost xbow, you may or may not get your investment out of the lower cost bow. Then you have a pickle where a peach could have been in the first place. I have been bow hunting for 30+ years and went to the pro shop and picked up many xbows and shot/shook/looked at/stared at/held like a baby/rubbed/fingered/patted/and otherwise slobered on all of themuntil the darling one xbow thatfit my body and soul like a glove was chosen. I spent $1300.00 on my xbow and was glad I done it. I have never regreted it one little bit, but after spending that much on just one xbow, I MADE myself like it and it likes ME! It darn well better or I'll shoot it's limbs off with my 7mm mag. But the point here is, uh, what were we talking about now? Oh heck, just forget it, I don't make much sense to myself sometimes. Good Luck to you and yours. LOL
BBO
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Rebel Hog said is very sound advice,never thought I would say it but be very leery of Barnett the problems with them is getting worse
day by day!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

If you need to use a crank the best is 10 point
Lee
That same one can be installed on Excal's..

Here's martinfaw's Exomag

Here's Digger's Exocet

Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM

I got an Excalibur Vixen in Feb. I had never done any kind of archery before, so I didn't want to deal with pulleys/cams. After some practice, I can shoot groups under 2" at 40 yards w/field points. You won't catch me complaining.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

well, spending the money on one doesnt really bother me, orwouldnt under different circumstances anyway, as long as its not a foolish waste of money...
nothing is set yet and at this point I'm still in the "research" phase andmy buying one is still a few months away, in reality the amount I'm going to be able to spend is also going to be based on my ability to to do my job yet(or anymore), I had surgery last august to rebuild my right wrist and just got released to go back to work a couple weeks ago and being a union carpenterwith my right wristpermanantly disabled theres a bigquestion as to my what myability to do my job is going to be

in all honestyI dont reallyNEED a high dollar crossbow anyway, nor am I really out looking for a high dollar one, all I'm going to do is hunt with it so all I'm looking for is a dependable one that shoots good, has a good trigger and doesnt blow up in my face after three shots...
I get into bows pretty heavy and I've bowhunted all my life, deer, smallgame, bowfishing, traditional, so I'm pretty firmiliar with and fairly good with a bow, the problem is that I havent ever really messed with crossbows enough to have much knowledge about them, or whats good or bad about them andthereisnt really anywhere aroundmy area that really stocks them either, much less lets you shoot one,and I dont want to drop a large amount of cash on one unless I'm certain its my thing... I've learned that the dollar amount of an item doesnt always dictateits quality(even though most of the time it does), in fact one of the best shooting varmint rifles I've ever owned was low cost savage model 112

I guess I wouldnt be against a recurve, like alot of people who have never dealt with one I guess my first reaction to a recurve is that it would be a disadvantage, but after doing a fair amount of reasearch lately I'm starting togather that that really isnt the case

for some reason I'm still drawn pretty heavy to that PSE rattler, I guess I'm looking for someone who's dealt with one to give me a report on wether its a decent crossbow or not worth the money and then take it from there...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

It's a matter of personal preference, but 90% of crossbow guys agree the Excalibur is on top of the pile, and better yet they are far from the most expensive.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: I'm looking for a little advise...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.