Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which Broadhead For Elk? >

Which Broadhead For Elk?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which Broadhead For Elk?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Which Broadhead For Elk?

Will be hunting elk this fall with my crossbow. The crossbow will probably be my Barnett Revolution XS. i've killed several deer and hogs with a crossbow using brand x broad heads.For elk i want to usea really good broad head.

Recommendations?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Broadhead For Elk?

I spect those you use fer Hogs and deert will do the job on an Elk. If you want to change just pick out several and tune up and shoot. Sight in see which groups the best fer you. I use Bear Bruins and Rocket steelheads 100.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot an elk with an arrow yet. I've shot two of them, seen them soak up a 180 grain Bonded Bear Claw from a 300 winchester magnum, after field dressing both and deboning one I have some advice. Their bones are large and thick. Their wind pipe, lungs and heart are massive, about as big as a much bigger moose. Here's my advice. Get really close and use the heaviest broadhead and shaft combo you can shoot. Use a tough cut on contact arrow like a magnus stinger G5 Montec or any good broadhead that is shapened to the tip. Make sure it is sharp. An elk has a really big vital area but it can run for a long time even after it takes a good shot. Give the animal the repect it deserves.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Dnk, I've never arrowed an elk either, but would have no qualms about using a Slick Trick. I use 100 gr 1 1/8" diameter on deer/hogs, may up that to 125 gr for elk. There was a thread on here on Tech forum or one of the others where someone shot thru the scapula on a hog w/ one, and there is currently a thread on AT where a guy shot a refrigerator umpteen times w/ same b-head!! Good Luck!!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 PM

I have shot 2 elk with a crossbow and 4 with a recurve. I used the same BHs for both. My Zwickeys have never failed me, but any solid fixed blade head will work. Magnus, Zwickey, Grizzly, etc. I have never found a reason to use a BH that costs $10 when a solid $3 BH flies well and will not break when you hit bones. More importantly is overall weight of bolt/ arrow. I use 650 gr. for elk and from my experience I will not use less than about 575 on elk. I know what you're thinking "that's ridiculous, why would I want to shoot such logs out of my crossbow". I have done testing and out to 30 yds, you only loose 4" of trajectory from a 650 gr. bolt compared to a 400 gr. bolt.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grndhntr

I have shot 2 elk with a crossbow and 4 with a recurve. I used the same BHs for both. My Zwickeys have never failed me, but any solid fixed blade head will work. Magnus, Zwickey, Grizzly, etc. I have never found a reason to use a BH that costs $10 when a solid $3 BH flies well and will not break when you hit bones. More importantly is overall weight of bolt/ arrow. I use 650 gr. for elk and from my experience I will not use less than about 575 on elk. I know what you're thinking "that's ridiculous, why would I want to shoot such logs out of my crossbow". I have done testing and out to 30 yds, you only loose 4" of trajectory from a 650 gr. bolt compared to a 400 gr. bolt.
Grndhntrm, how far did they run after the shot? I shot my first one at 40 or 50 yards with my 300 and it swapped ends and ran full tilt. The first shot took it's heart out and both lungs. I wasn't going to stop so I had to plug it again at 100 yards. It showed no reaction other than just plain running. I've shot plenty of deer, antelope and a few moose and was quite surprised at their lack of reaction. I thought for a moment that I missed. Tough buggers!
Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Dnk, All of my elk have reacted differently.My first wasa bigcow hitin the liver (passthrough)-it went about 1/4 mile and was still alive an hour later when I found it (another arrow through both lungs and she was dead in 3 seconds). My second hit the "elbow" on another big cow and just deflated one lung. She would not go down, even after I got 3 arrows into her, until I finally got the other lung. My third was a spike bull that took out both lungs and the BH made holes in both sides, entry was right above the leg (barely missed the shoulder bones) and exit was right at the seam where the neck meets the shoulder on the off side. He ran 70 yds and fell over dead in less than 2 min., maybe less than 1.The next was another big cow that was hit too far foreward. Fortunately, the arrow took out the trachea (windpipe) and a big blood vessel right beside it- probably the corotid artery.The vesselwas big enough that I was able to stick my finger into it. She made it about 45 yds and fell over dead (much to my surprise after seeing where I hit). All of these were shot with a 50# recurve.The first one was with a 2 blade stainlessbear BH. It didn't hold up as well as I would've liked so I switched to the Zwickey after that.My nextelk (another cow) I didn't recover. It was when I first started hunting with a crossbow and I was using a "lighter" (only 500 gr.) bolt. The hit looked perfect as far as placement, but only penetrated about 5" or so, just one lung. I'm thinking I must've hit a rib, it was too far back for the shoulder bones. I never found the elk, but I know it travelled at least a mile on one lung.The lastone I got was acow (2005). Itwasalso shot with the crossbow and a beefed up (heavier) bolt. It took out both lungs and she only made it about 70 yds. Elk don't last long without lungs but they can make it a long ways with one strong one. Penetration is king and, in my experience, weight (that is, bolt weight)= penetration. This year I hope to draw a bull tag. Even after chasing elk around for years, I still haven't gotten a bull. I've had a few close calls, but still don't have that big 6x6 up on the wall. Hope this help and sorry I was so long winded. Grndhntr
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

never had the chance to hunt elk.....but i wish you luck on your hunt.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks very much forall theinformation. Will buy some quality broad heads with blades to the tip. Will also get some heavy 22" bolts made up. Then it is practice, practice and more practice.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Good Luck falcon. Where will you be hunting? With a guide or on your own?

Quick Reply: Which Broadhead For Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.