Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow Broadheads? >

Crossbow Broadheads?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Broadheads?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crossbow Broadheads?

Ok, my dad bought a Parker Terminator XB and finally shot it. (Actuallly my brother and I gave him $500 for christmas and that's what he bought)
But.........He just put his 3 blade muzzy's on the bolts and it shoots about 5"lower than the fieldtips at only 20 yds? That right? What could cause that? Then he took one shot with a rocky expandable and same thing. When back to the same grain field tip and was right on again. Put a 125 grain field tip(was 100) and it shot about an inch low. Side note- I had him shoot with me at 30 yds and hit the block 4x4 one time and missed 2 with his Hoyt MAgnatec so i see why he wants to go to the XB, lol . But I digress. One other thing. What can a person do to eliminate the twang? This thing was real loud. This normal right out of the box? Sorry if I double posted, i responded to another post about broadheads also.
dandbuck
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Broadheads?

Generally when switching from fieldtips to hunting heads (even with the same weight) your hunting heads will hit a little lower. I have found that wind resistance (just normal wind from speed of arrrow) will take alitle speed away from the arrow causing it to hit lower. Remember that windy days will also casue dramitic switches in points of impact as will the size (cutting dia) of the head.

Hope this helps you.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

i think that searching for a broadhead that will hit same poi is a waste of time. if you can find a b-head that will group well....you've got a winner. just make sure you sight in with broadheads before hunting. aye xbows are loud. you get used to it after a while. enjoy. good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

Hi all
My dad just got a cross bow since turnig 65 and he shot it at my place over the weekend. here's the issue, 20yds field tips right on. # blade muzzy's shot 5 inches low with same weight, more than 1 arrow all shot 5" low at 20 yds. Then he shot one of his rocky expandables and it too shot 4-5 " low. This was from a sitting position with sticks to steady his rest and all, so I know it was the broadhead. Then he shot a 125 grain fieldtip and it ws only about 1" low as compared to his 100grain fieldtip at 20 yds. I must say, ican't believe how loud of a twang this thing had either. It's a brand new Parker Terminator 175# and it seems like it shots fast, but the twang is LOUD. Is there something to quiet them down? It had string leaches from the "kit" that was installed on the whole thing.
dandbuck
[/blockquote]
Cat whiskers on the strings and a heavier arrow/broadtip combo will make all the difference. Have you chronographed it yet?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:40 AM

My wife and I both shoot NAP spitfire mechanials 100 gr. 3 blade. you can get pratice blades for them,they just don't open on impact(the pratice blades that is ).
I have found they shoot just about the same.I can't tell any difference on my shooting.out to 30 yards.I can't stack'em but a good 3" group.I have been shooting them ever since they came out, no problems for us.

you will diffenently need to shoot and check any broadhead for you and your bow.good luck on you search.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The main reason I use satallites and thunder heads is because they shoot the same as field tips in all three of my cross bows; I have had weird results with some I have tried. Lee
Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

The main reason I use satallites and thunder heads is because they shoot the same as field tips in all three of my cross bows; I have had weird results with some I have tried. Lee
Lee, those thunder heads were my old standard. Tough as nails and accurate too. Only problem with them is that you have to use a broadhead adapter or metal washer on a carbon. I tested on on a 45 gal drum and it would pass through one side and half way out the other. It took three shots before one of the blades blew up, now that is one tough broadhead!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

My wife and I both shoot NAP spitfire mechanials 100 gr. 3 blade. you can get pratice blades for them,they just don't open on impact(the pratice blades that is ).
I have found they shoot just about the same.I can't tell any difference on my shooting.out to 30 yards.I can't stack'em but a good 3" group.I have been shooting them ever since they came out, no problems for us.

you will diffenently need to shoot and check any broadhead for you and your bow.good luck on you search.
i also use SPITFIRE 100 and i shoot the razor blades in same hole as field blade inserts at 15 yds..have not shot them to 30 yds yet, will update when that happens..

did you try my RAG BAG with those spitfies,it works great and cost nothing..