Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Book Report

Old 03-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Book Report

It's been nearly 40 years since the last time I wrote a book report, but here goes. [8D]

A friend gave me a copy of a very good book entitled The Crossbow By Sir Ralph Payne-Gallowey, The Holland Press, London.

The book is subtitled "Midiaeval and Modern, Military and Sporting". Sub-subtitled "It's Construction, History and Management."

It deals pretty much exclusively with the crossbow's military and sporting history in Europe. There's not much included about Asian or Middle Eastern types, although there are some fairly good mechanical illustrations of the Chinese repeating crossbow. Yep, an autoloading crossbow that's been around for hundreds of years.

Published in 1903, so the part dealing with 'modern' crossbows is obviously over a century old. It's dated but it's an excellent look back. It was in it's 10th printing in 1995, so it might not be too hard to find a copy, if you're inclined toward digging into the history of the sport. It's by far the best book on crossbows I've ever seen.

Also got a treatise on the ballista and catapult for those who might want to do a little building and have a couple pieces of ancient artillery in their back yard. You know... to keep the neighbors honest.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Book Report

i am going to look for that book, sounds very interesting.
My son and I went to a nearby town for their annual pumpkin launching festival, he is determined to make a catapult now.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

just what i need.....an autoloader. hee hee.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

If anyone's interested, I found a place that carries the book.

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486287203.html
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've got the new version that deals with the newer crossbows and the history of them. I'm going to get it in the mail realllly soon don! lol i just gotta remember!

*my book reports always have to have pictures!!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

This fine volume is available on amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Crossbow-Ralph-Payne-Gallwey/dp/0486287203

Great book review! Would have loved to hear you tell more.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

There is a more recent work published by Willam Hovey Smith entitled Crossbow Hunting. It's front cover proudly displays a wary Bill Troubridge beating the bush with his trusty Excalibur. It is all inclusive of the modern crossbows and is not only detailed, but very well written. That work can be purchased at:

http://www.amazon.com/Crossbow-Hunting-William-Hovey-Smith/dp/0811733114