Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW >

BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW

Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM

Default BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW

wHAT IS THE BEST ARROW TO USE WITH THE HORTON 175 LB CROSS BOW
Old 03-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW

That changes with the situation,for hunting what ? for what kind of target shooting ? In whos opinion ? there are different schools of thought between aluminium and glass and carbon and graphite and the combination of carbon and aluminium.
In my opinion for somebody starting out who wants an all around arrow at a good price 2216 aluminium XX75 is hard to beat. Lee
Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM

When I used to hunt with my Horton 150 I always used the Horton 2219 aluminum and never had much of a problem. I also always used a bag target. When I bought the new Horton Supermax 175 I was sending my arrows clear through the bag target. SO I upgraded to a layered block target. The block stopped the arrows but it was also hard to pull out. I started bending arrows left and right, not much, just enough to affect my POI. I was told this was caused by two things. The block target is stationary and does not move and the fast arrows were stopping to fast and the KE was bending my arrows, not saying this is fact, just what a local bow shop guy told me. Then the second, which is what I think my main problem was is me pulling so hard on the arrow to getthem out I was bending them. I switched to the Horton Carbon arrows and have never had any problems since.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

That changes with the situation,for hunting what ? for what kind of target shooting ? In whos opinion ? there are different schools of thought between aluminium and glass and carbon and graphite and the combination of carbon and aluminium.
In my opinion for somebody starting out who wants an all around arrow at a good price 2216 aluminium XX75 is hard to beat. Lee
i agree with you.i have 2216 ,xx75..i can put arrow after arrow in same hole with these arrows with horton i just bought..
the only thing i changed was to2 inch blazers,alumiun point inserts..this is with spitfire 100 hunting points also..

no need for sproule tochange to anything else..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

When I used to hunt with my Horton 150 I always used the Horton 2219 aluminum and never had much of a problem. I also always used a bag target. When I bought the new Horton Supermax 175 I was sending my arrows clear through the bag target. SO I upgraded to a layered block target. The block stopped the arrows but it was also hard to pull out. I started bending arrows left and right, not much, just enough to affect my POI. I was told this was caused by two things. The block target is stationary and does not move and the fast arrows were stopping to fast and the KE was bending my arrows, not saying this is fact, just what a local bow shop guy told me. Then the second, which is what I think my main problem was is me pulling so hard on the arrow to getthem out I was bending them. I switched to the Horton Carbon arrows and have never had any problems since.
take a feed bag and fill it with old rags..no arrow is going thru it..save your money..also plastic shopping bags work real good also..i put the shopping bags in front of rags in feed bag..

my arrows go in about 3 inchs..hundreds of shots..forget straw,forget those expensive targets..use SPROUL rag bag..

i use silicone on my arrows which helps them come out of target easier if you use those expensive targets..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aluminum arrows and layered foam targets equals:
[about $11 from Dan Miller]

Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the cause of your aluminum problem is more with the second reason than with the first, Hotburn.

Those crummy old, soft 6061 alloyEagle aluminums will bend from impacting a target. Heck, those things will bend even if you frown while looking in their general direction. Ultra light, thin walled XX75's will bend too. I've had them (especially 2213's) accordian up on themselves. I can't see how a tough shaft like theXX75 2216 would bend from simply being shot into a target though.Just working on an educated guess, I'm pretty certain they were all bent by having to wrestle them back out ofthat stubborntarget.

I'd betif you would'vehad that nifty arrow pulling tool that awshucks is showing off, you'd never have benta single one.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: awshucks

use ole sproule RAG BAG and you can put that tool in your tool box never to be used..
Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Thats a joke right JK? What about broadheads and 3D targets?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: awshucks

use ole sproule RAG BAG and you can put that tool in your tool box never to be used..
I have a better place I'd like to put it!

Quick Reply: BEST ARROW HORTON 175LB CROSS BOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.