Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 To much of a good thing? >

To much of a good thing?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

To much of a good thing?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Default To much of a good thing?

Hey I have a question for everyone. I have been hitting the new swamp spot pretty hard, at least once, maybe twice a week. Setting up my feeder and trail cam. Then when I am done with that I look for sheds. Almost every time I go out I spook deer and can hear them running through the swamp. Was wandering since it is getting close to spring and the doe's will be looking for a spot to drop there fawns if I keep going out there and messing around if I could actually be doing myself more harm then good and the doe's could move to another "safer" spot and then change things for this fall? Was just curious since I have been out there so much that maybe you can have to much of a good thing and have a adverse unintended effect. This is the first time I have ever been in a spot this much in the early spring doing stuff. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To much of a good thing?

IMO, I have found that as long as you don't run them out of the county,(going in hootin and hollerin)and they have a reason to come back,(feeder)you should be OK...Bill
Old 03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Jason, for years I fed my cows, goats, horse and sheepevery day usingthe samepath, cleaned the troughs, handled everythingand they came every night to the troughs. As long as there is food, supplements and mineral blocks, they will come.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Nicley said Reb!

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Jason, for years I fed my cows, goats, horse and sheepevery day usingthe samepath, cleaned the troughs, handled everythingand they came every night to the troughs. As long as there is food, supplements and mineral blocks, they will come.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Not sure if this is referring to hunting over bait or not. I thought I have explained in past post that fall bait has zero incentive since I am surrounded by corn and soybeans in my area. I have used the gravity feeder for the last two years and as soon as the corn puts on its ears and the soybeans pod out it turns into a Blue Jay feeder since that is the only bird in my area that can eat whole corn. What I am trying to accomplish with the feeder is helping the deer recover from winter and start off strong for spring. Maybe in Florida putting out corn for deer is like leading a cow to a trough, but not up here, to much food surrounding me starting in September. What I am concerned with is the deer moving out of the area and only coming into the area in the spring and summer and then not being around in the fall. Maybe I misunderstood you, or maybe your misunderstanding my intent, not sure.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

hotburn .... what I believve that others are saying is that as long as you do not become agressive in chasing the deer, they will just move out of the way until you pass. You speak of a feeder, since the feeder is the easest food at this time of year, they will stay by, just do not chase them agressivly.

If you talk to farmers, they probually tell you how the deer just walk around them, not scared because they become acustomed to them not harming them.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Maybe in Florida putting out corn for deer is like leading a cow to a trough,
We have to set out the Deer feeders 6 months before the season opens and have to stay 100yds from them when hunting.
but not up here, to much food surrounding me starting in September.
Oh I see, you are concerned with them moving to the private surrounding corp land. Well, with that much food on the surrounding properties you are going to have to feed them the sweets and salts, they might go and eat on the other corps, but they will always come back for the Molassesand Mineral Salt Blocks.

I don't know how much property you have or if it's fenced. If you have a couple of Goats and feed them, the State cannot accuse you of baiting Wild Game!If the Deer jump the fence, that's out of your control and your gain!

What I am concerned with is the deer moving out of the area and only coming into the area in the spring and summer and then not being around in the fall. Maybe I misunderstood you, or maybe your misunderstanding my intent, not sure.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Oh I see, you are concerned with them moving to the private surrounding corp land.
Not concerned with them doing that at all, that is inevitable every year. Some people plant food plots of corn and use it to there advantage, corn up here is a bad thing for hunters since there is so much of it. When the corn gets taller then the deer theymove into it and bed and feed all in one spot and they only come out for water. I don't consider my good hunting to start until the corn comes off and they have to start moving in the woods again. The corn is out of my control, what I am concerned about is deer leaving my spot and moving to the next woods up the road which is about a quarter of a mile away and then not using my spot as much this fall when the fields are full of corn and bean stuff that the farmers leave behind.

Well, with that much food on the surrounding properties you are going to have to feed them the sweets and salts, they might go and eat on the other corps, but they will always come back for the Molassesand Mineral Salt Blocks.

Another thing that I have learned that does not work for my area. My mineral and saltlick sites get tore up like crazy in the spring and summer. Seems like when they are growing racks and and the doe have there fawns nursing. About August they stop using them around here. That is one thing that must be different about Ohio compared to other states. I have read some people on here that act like salt is candy for deer and it is illegal for them to use during season. I have thought that if I ever get interested in shooting squirrels again a salt block is a magnet for them, they tear that up in the fall! I have only seen one deer in my five years of using salt and mineral blocks lick them while I was in the stand, and that little guy was a button buck!

As for the Molasses goes, you being from the south should know how that works!! I put out some feed out once the first year I had the gravity feeder that had that in it and boy that was a mistake! I do not think I have ever seen that many ants in one spot above ground in my life! Molasses may work, but it needsto be after a long hard freeze, which I try to be done by that point.

I don't know how much property you have or if it's fenced. If you have a couple of Goats and feed them, the State cannot accuse you of baiting Wild Game!If the Deer jump the fence, that's out of your control and your gain!

I like that idea Reb! The only problem is my wife may get jealous if I start buying a sheep or goats!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn.Just buy a camper,the wife will never know .

the deer will get used to the routine(spl)try not to disrupt thier tails or path and like said earlier,as long as your not screamming,yelling,things that would spook them you should be ok.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 AM

jmo, on what i would do, drop a mineral lick on the ground, ive always scouted my huntin area to much, but as soon as the see a mineral lick, there never far from it........esp, if u got a feeder up

Quick Reply: To much of a good thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.