Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

MN Crossbows

Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default MN Crossbows

For those of you not aware, MN has legislation is process to legalize crossbows. If you are from MN I would advise you to call your State Rep and let him know you support bill House bill 1241.
For a fun read, go to the bowsite MN forum. The sky is falling there.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=137801&MESSAGES=28&sta te=Mn
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MN Crossbows

Our buddy Dan H. is hard at work.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=503&posts=2&start=1
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the Heads up 10ptCrossbow.....
Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your right Randy its a hoot.........hope I didnt stier up the pot to much.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Yeah I had heard that legislation was in process. I am satisfied with hunting with my bow in MN, but would definitely support crossbows, as we hunting brothers and sistersgot to stick together. Good to hear and I bet it goes through.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM

The following is what I emailed to my state rep in Minnesota regarding the proposed changes in regulations regarding crossbows. Feel free to give me any feedback on what I could include in future communications.

I am a constituent who lives inCoon Rapids,Minnesota.
I wanted to take the opportunity to state my support for MN House Bill HF 1241. This bill to my understanding would remove the current restrictions against the use of crossbows during archery season, thus legalize the use of crossbows by anyone and not just those with a disability.
I am an avid bow shooter and hunter that has never shot, owned or hunted with a crossbow, but would support the proposed change and inclusion of crossbows during archery season for everyone. Currently only those with disabilities can receive a special permit in order to use a crossbow to hunt with. I support the proposed changes as the inclusion of crossbows would likely bring in additional hunters to our sport, bring in additional revenue to the state and for wildlife management and allow aging hunters to continue to pursue their passion of hunting beyond their ability to draw and hunt with a compound or recurve bow.
Some may argue that a crossbow is not a good idea as it is a good "poaching tool," but I attest that the statement and thinking is ridiculous. Poaching is illegal and those that poach will use any and all weapons, from firearm, bows and crossbows in committing a crime, not just one particular tool. .22 rimfire rifles are famous for being a tool of choice for poachers wishing to keep sound down and poach animals. .22 is a legal caliber for small game hunting, but an illegal caliber for hunting large game in Minnesota.
In my opinion the current restrictions against crossbows are discriminatory and not based on any solid fact or reason. Several other states have revised regulations and laws, and have included the use of crossbows during archery season for everyone.
I hope that you choose to vote in favor of HF 1241. If you would wish to call me at any time in order to discuss this issue further please feel free to call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX at any time.
I appreciate your time.

Joseph XXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely put.
mine was short...tried calling too,just got the answer machine...
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apparently, the xbow bill was defeated. I copied this from Mn Bowsite thread:
HF1241 was heard at tonight's Game, Fish and Forestry Division Committee meeting.
The bill's author first introduced amendments to allow crossbows (his words not mine) into the gun and muzzleloader deer seasons, and also through December 31st. The DNR person correctly poined out that this would overlap with an archery-only season for two-three weeks in December after muzzleloader closed. Much discussion and some testimony ensued. The chair tabled the matter to allow the bill's author to modify the bill to restrict the allowable crossbow season to only coincide with gun and muzzleloader seasons.
After some time the chair brought back the dicussion of HF1241. The bill's author changed the wording to only be gun season (I don't have a copy of the revised bill as introduced and do not recall if it included the muzzleloading season or not). The committee had no further discussion and there was no more testimony.
The chair called for a vote and HF1241 was defeated with I would say sounded like an overwhelming no vote

I'm not sure from the above if they are going to allow them during gun seasons or not [a start]. Better luck next time, Mn!! Keep the faith, there will be a next time, lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Apparently, the xbow bill was defeated. I copied this from Mn Bowsite thread:
HF1241 was heard at tonight's Game, Fish and Forestry Division Committee meeting.
The bill's author first introduced amendments to allow crossbows (his words not mine) into the gun and muzzleloader deer seasons, and also through December 31st. The DNR person correctly poined out that this would overlap with an archery-only season for two-three weeks in December after muzzleloader closed. Much discussion and some testimony ensued. The chair tabled the matter to allow the bill's author to modify the bill to restrict the allowable crossbow season to only coincide with gun and muzzleloader seasons.
After some time the chair brought back the dicussion of HF1241. The bill's author changed the wording to only be gun season (I don't have a copy of the revised bill as introduced and do not recall if it included the muzzleloading season or not). The committee had no further discussion and there was no more testimony.
The chair called for a vote and HF1241 was defeated with I would say sounded like an overwhelming no vote

I'm not sure from the above if they are going to allow them during gun seasons or not [a start]. Better luck next time, Mn!! Keep the faith, there will be a next time, lol.
Thats really too bad, but your right it will be revisited. I guess when I have a large enough interest in hunting with a crossbow I will just get the special permit, as my back is easily bad enough to qualify me. For now it will remain bow, ML and assorted rifles.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

THEY'REBACK!! well, that didn't take long, no sir! Apparently the bills author changed some wording sans whiners and is going to try to get them in during the gun seasons: Copied from Mn Bowsite, posted today.
Note the addys to express your opinions!!

[blockquote]
After going up to testify Monday and getting HF1241 voted down I find out Rep.Thoa went back tuesday and amended and re-introduced the bill without any testimony. It is now part of HF1116 the Fish and Game omnibus bill. Sec. 48. CROSSBOW DEER SEASON. 18.1 Notwithstanding Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.035, or other law to the contrary, 18.2the commissioner of natural resources shall establish an open season for taking deer 18.3by crossbow during the regular firearm or muzzleloader season from November 1 to 18.4December 15 each year. The commissioner may adopt exempt rules regulating the 18.5crossbow deer season according to Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386. Notwithstanding 18.6Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386, a rule adopted under this section is effective until 18.7January 1, 2009.
Please let your personal Rep. and Sen. Know how you feel about this proposal. The next place it has to show at is the senate committee for Natural Resources. Let the members know how you feel, their addresses are as [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

[/blockquote]

Quick Reply: MN Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.