Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Velocity and energy chart >

Velocity and energy chart

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Velocity and energy chart

Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Velocity and energy chart

This has been a lot of help to me thought I would share it with yawl.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm
Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Velocity and energy chart

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I second the Cuban pig sticker, Thank you.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank that was handy!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Great tool, thank you!
Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

very nice article. a little confused though.....could someone explain to me what the author meant by mechanical blades "wedging"? would be much appreciated. ty in advance.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM

thanx martin, thats the site i was talkin bout, plus there another one out there too, same format tho.........joey heres your answers, save that site it will help u out alot with fps and energy
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: shewe

could someone explain to me what the author meant by mechanical blades "wedging"? would be much appreciated. ty in advance.
One thing about blade design, though, especially with mechanicals: Always go for blades that are placed at an angle so that they ‘cut’ rather than ‘wedge’ their way through an animal. I’m convinced that much of the reported penetration problems with some mechanicals is the result of KE lost to ‘wedging’ rather than KE lost to opening the blades.

An anti-wedging, controlled deployment broadhead with an over-center of gravity blade geometry for bow-hunting that has the ability to penetrate bone and soft tissue deeply before deploying its blades while conserving the highest possible amount of kinetic energy in flight and at target. The inventive device includes the one-piece body, specially aligned and faceted cutting tip, blades, O-ring, and set screws. The blades have independent pivots that also act as travel limiters, are arch shaped with very sharp leading edges and a J-shaped lever. The center of gravity of each of the blades is oriented so as to insure retaining each blade in its respective retracted position during acceleration and assisting in deployment thereof during deceleration. The device with its special body and blade geometry now allows for more energy and blade area to be delivered to the vital organs of game to facilitate a faster and more humane harvest.

HyperShock 100 Broadhead
What is the secret behind the Hypershock broadhead?
It starts with a design that is engineered from many industry and proprietary concepts.
First off the foundation of the broadhead begins with the ferrule, machined from a solid billet of 7075-T6 aluminum, and then anodized using a special process called “Type III-S”. This process creates a surface 10 times thicker than regular anodizing and a hardness of 65 RC. The III-S process also has a much less coefficient of friction thereby increasing penetration. Aiding in the penetration is a curved blade design that incorporates an anti-wedging deployment. A curved blade increases the cutting surface and the sweptback curved design increases the farther away from the ferrule you get.
This insures that the blades cut through flesh rather than tear through flesh. It also reduces the leverage on the blade allowing the broadhead to stay on its intended course. The .032” blade thickness creates strength yet the flexibility to not break when hitting bone.