Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Elephant with an Exaclibur Crossbow >

Elephant with an Exaclibur Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Elephant with an Exaclibur Crossbow

Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Elephant with an Exaclibur Crossbow

If you have visited the Excalibur website lately you might have seen a video of President Bill Troubridge shooting an elephant in Africa. You can now view this entire hunt on "Safari Hunter's Jounal" on the Versus Network. Bill talks about the 900 grain bolt that he used for deeper penetration. It's a very good show and you can check this link for it's next airring: http://www.versus.com/nw/article/mdview/?tf=TonightOnOLN_show.tpl&Limit=1&mt=3&amp ;f1=UserDef3&UserDef=true&d1=SAFARI%20HUNT ERS

The next showing appears to be at midnight EST on the 16th. (2 hours) from now!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elephant with an Exaclibur Crossbow

Killing an indangered specie yup im proud to own a excal id like to tell bill what i think of his bows and what to do with them with all the animals in the world he takes a elephant....................... Hum he should try for a bald eagle or osprey in flight as well. Better yet a a white lion jaguar............ Nothing to be proud of.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

If I recall that particular animal was devistating the few crops the hungy people had, the meat harvested from the kill fed many.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jeep, no offence but elephants are not endangered. Many many elephants taken are overpopulation culls or "nuisance" animals (animals that will not be transplanted and ususally have done harm to human life). I also find it repiulsive but I also know it has to be done. I quite understand how you feel.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

The african elephant and asian elaphant are indangered google it and it will explain. I know what your saying and 100% hear you.But of all things a elephant???????????????? i boycott those xbows for certain reasons and thats one. Heck any xbow will take down a animal that size just so happens he did it first and i hope hes the last. To what ever elephant they were at to harvest it and feed people good. But shame on that clown[:@]theres alot of animals in the world that can be harvested but its sad to see them do it to animals like an elephant. Kinda like hearing people complain about deer in the city gotta cull them there eatting our plants bla bla bla To freaking bad the citys grow you take an animals home away deal with it so yes i see your point totally its sad and to see people praise excal yes there a nice bow but not that great tokill something like that. But thats my opinion everyones entitled.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 99 jeep

The african elephant and asian elaphant are indangered google it and it will explain. I know what your saying and 100% hear you.But of all things a elephant???????????????? i boycott those xbows for certain reasons and thats one. Heck any xbow will take down a animal that size just so happens he did it first and i hope hes the last. To what ever elephant they were at to harvest it and feed people good. But shame on that clown[:@]theres alot of animals in the world that can be harvested but its sad to see them do it to animals like an elephant. Kinda like hearing people complain about deer in the city gotta cull them there eatting our plants bla bla bla To freaking bad the citys grow you take an animals home away deal with it so yes i see your point totally its sad and to see people praise excal yes there a nice bow but not that great tokill something like that. But thats my opinion everyones entitled.
Finally my elephant (pics)

Old 02-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jeep, as I said earlier, it repulses me as well. I want to toss when I see stuff like that. Watching wolves or big African cats take down their prey turns my stomach as well but I know better. As you indicated it is the fault of the ever successful over population of humans. But in the end someone has to do it and I would rather see some one take it to it's death in 5 minute as opposed to a couple of days which is how long it may take with big cats. The long and lingering deaths are natural even moose taken down by wolves may take days to die while being eaten. Same with whitetails and coyotes.
Yeah I know its still repluses me too.
BTW elephants are over populated in some areas but your are right they are endangered in many areas of the world. Unfortuneately there are areas that need culling and I am sure that is what happened there.

The controversy http://www.terradaily.com/reports/SAfrican_Government_Consults_Scientists_On_Elephan t_Culling.html
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

cool

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Here is the google search...

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_156_26/ai_82533198

In the southern parts of Africa they have always had a population problem with them in the villages. A elephant problem isnot like a deer problem where they justeat some stuff and leave. When they are hungry and there is not enough food for them they wander into these small towns, which are basically huts and such. They then pull down the trees and eat them for there foliage which kills the tree after it is pushed or pulled over. Then the problem is when they get startled and stampede outand nock everything down in its path killing people. They just don't come in a eat the roses. Not illegal at all in certain areas. The only thing that is illegal is the commercial trade of the ivory tusk. I have no desire to ever kill a elephant, just not me. But there is alot of things that people hunt that I would consider worthless to do here in America too, but to each his own if it is legal.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

From what I gathered from the show last night is that the elephant population is THRIVING at 100,00 in Zimbabwe where hunting elephants has been regulated and is nowa prime source of revenue for that country. In a similar size country Tanzania where they restricted hunting in 1977 the elephant population is roughly 30,000. At the end of this hunt you should have seen how many people this elephant fed. The village came out and celebrated and everyone walked away with plenty of meat.

My thoughts on elephant hunting before watching this was "Why", but after seeing the economical benefits this species contributes I now understand.