Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Broadhead target???? >

Broadhead target????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadhead target????

Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead target????

I need some practice with the broadheads. My field tips fly straight and true, however, I need to be sure that my broadheads are doing the same. The bag I havenow is not suitable for broadheads. What can I build or buy for this type of target practice?????????
Old 12-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Broadhead target????

I would fire one broadhead into that target to make sure they are not flying the same as the field tips. If they are then you would be dissapointed after buying a target only to realize you dont need it.

Are you shooting mechanical or fixed broadheads? Most mechanicals fly the same as field tips.

If you need a broadhead target after figuring out the above I would check out Bass Pro Shops website and have a look, many of the targets will say broadhead compatible.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Fill a feed bag, cardborad box or a cloth bag with plastic bags and or inuslation. Works well as long as you get 12" or more and you compact the fill. It does not take alot of broadhead hits but its cheap.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I started off shooting mechanical broadheads (NAP) and have now switched to slick tricks. Both of these manufactures state that their productsshoot like field tips. I need to be sure.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

I make a target butt out of lots of sheets of cardboard, about 1-2 feet thick. The layers are held together with duct tape. after I shoot an arrow (bolt)into it with a broad head. I remove the duct tape and peal back the layers from the back of the target until the broad head is exposed . I then unscrew the head and pull out the arrow shaft. replace the duct tape and you are good to go. cost almost nothing, every few years It need to be replaced.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks BigGuy.

Any other ideas or suggestions.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Slicks also. They are the most accurate when you spin test them and remove all the wobble you can. You do this by spinning the washer, and amazingly it works. If you take a b-head off and re-install, you need to recheck the wobble. If you don't have an arrow spinner, you can make one cheap by epoxying 2 marbles side by side on each end of a chunk of 2x4.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Cardboard, as with all paper products will dull your blades quickly. If I were to use cardboard I would stack it horizontally, and add top weight to compress it.
I bought a proper one at Bass Pro for $50, it does what it claims but I find my bolts often sink in past the vanes.
Exocet 200, with Carbons.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it will dull your blades. I keep a couple of old b-heads just for target shooting. I spraypaint them red so as to not accidently use them in the field. I use 90 gr. 4 blade Muzzy heads.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, to check wobble i just put the b-head on the tip and spin it with my fingers, seems to work fine

Quick Reply: Broadhead target????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.