Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Reality Check

Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reality Check

I read on another forum where an xbower was concerned whether his deer was at exactly 30 yds or maybe only 28 or still yet maybe at 32 yds. I was thinking wow, thats only 6' one way or the othewr, what's this guy shooting? So, having an enquiring mind, lol, I set my target at all three ranges and shot from my bench. I was kinda surprised that the Phoenix I hunt w/ had a 6" verticle group w/ 30 being right on. [knew that] Those 6' showed up as 3" high and 3" low. Even on the Emax, which I shot at the same time, the vert spread was 3" [overall]. I range every shot anyhow, and the farthest I can get a taget from my bench rest is 36 yds. W/ a V-zone, I just hold my preferred impact point at 36 between the 20 and 30 yd triangles and am on the money. The Phoenix is at somewhere between 280 and 290, w/ 431 gr GT's. Just thought I'd share this as a reminder to all on how that range thing can mess ya up quick!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Reality Check

very interesting. goes to show how important range estimation is.....especially right at the point where the bolt begins to drop off.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM

I find this weird lol because with my phoenix and the string that comes with the excals (not the FFF), my bow shoots from 20-30 w/ no difference and only drops 2" out to about 37 yards. At 10 yards it is only 1"-1.5" high, so i dunno why anyone elses is different. I shoot the GT II's w/brass inserts and 4" vanes and they weigh in at around 408-411. I recently switched to the GT w/ 5" vanes and alumin inserts and cannot vouch for them yet but they do shoot from 0-20 with only a 3" spread w/ field tips.

Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Impossible: "I shoot the GT II's w/brass inserts and 4" vanes and they weigh in at around 408-411. I recently switched to the GT w/ 5" vanes and alumin inserts and cannot vouch for them yet but they do shoot from 0-20 with only a 3" spread w/ field tips."

I have near 2 dozen of same thing and mine are all within 2 grains of 431 except the dozen I got from Greywolf w/ 10 gr wraps. You might want to check those ranges and drop some more, my Emax at 328 fps and Paradox at 317 fps both drop more than what you posted. What are you using for a sight?

Edited to add: Your Phoenix will shoot 305 fps w/ FFF string and Factory issue 360 gr arrows. You lose about 10 to 15 fps w/ the Excell string you are using, and another 1 fps for every 5 gr arrow weight. That puts your fps around 280. Here's Excals ballistic chart for 400 gr arrows and 275 fps. While not exact, it's close enough to your set-up to show what I'm trying to say:

Well, that didn't copy like I thought, anyone interested click on "arrow ballistics" and then on new page click on aarrow performance chart for your fps, this one should be 275 fps, as close as possible to being Impossible, lol. As you can see from 20 to 30 w/ 20 yd sight in you are looking at about 6 3/4" drop, let alone farther ranges. Hope this helps ya get that big boy!!

Accessories

Arrow Ballistics

Crossbow FAQ

Crossbow Magazines

Crossbow video

Exocet 200

Exomax

Phoenix

Vixen

Arrow Performance Chart 275 fps

(Figures are assuming a 400 grain arrow @ 275 fps, 20yards sight-in)

[align=left]

[align=left]Range ( yards)[/align]
[align=left]Arrowdrop (inches)[/align]
[align=left]Terminal Velocity (FPS)[/align]
[align=left]Kinetic Energy (ft. lb.)[/align]

28[size=1]

[align=left]58
59[/align]

67[/align]
Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The distances are 20, 30 and 40 yards from my Exocet 200. Weight is 435 grains.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 PM

I use the peep sight and i guess this could be the reason, but i still know that mine do not drop like yours, and i honestly couldnt tell you why. Im not sayin your lying or yours are impossible, but thats how my phoenix shoots and i know it for a fact lol.

Ill shoot it tommorow and show some pics of dif yardages.

Mike

P.S. - I know that @ 40yds I have to hold 6 inches high, but theres no way it drops 16 inches like the pic above lol...im seriosly confused now

Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike: It's not really a case of who's bow does what. I'm trying to suggest to you that what you think is happening is not. You cannot change the laws of physics. You might gain a little on the drop w/ those new 5" vanes w/ alum inserts, they will weigh around 360, as that's the same arrow in packages w/ Excals. Are you shooting to sight in from a bench rest or offhand? Here's yet another site w/ k.e. and ballistic calculator that may help you figure out what's going on. Frankly, I'm not smart enough to use this one for other than k.e. but the info is all there.
Here ya go, and let us know what you end up w/. http://home.att.net/%7Esajackson/ke.html
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM

I agree with the shoots of DNK has taken as we are both using the same set up.
Using my Exocet 200, excal string ( standard ) gt2's with brass inserts and 4 inch vanes, the drop at 40 yards is indeed alot compared to 30 yards.
My varizone scope zero'ed in for 20 yards.....the FPS ring is on the last zero of the 300 mark......so I'm guessing I'm shooting about 310 to 315 FPS max speed.
If I were to shoot using my 20 yard cross hair at 30 , then 40 ....my results would match DNK's.
Let me tell you of the deer I missed at 40 yards that I thought was at 30 yards...complete miss right under it.
The use of a range finder now is ....well priceless.I won't leave home with out it.
BOB
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Impossible

I use the peep sight and i guess this could be the reason, but i still know that mine do not drop like yours, and i honestly couldnt tell you why. Im not sayin your lying or yours are impossible, but thats how my phoenix shoots and i know it for a fact lol.

Ill shoot it tommorow and show some pics of dif yardages.

Mike

P.S. - I know that @ 40yds I have to hold 6 inches high, but theres no way it drops 16 inches like the pic above lol...im seriosly confused now
Maybe there's more gravity in Canada.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM

DNK-what kind of target is that? Got to be a good one and appears to be home made. Where did you buy it or how did you construct it?

Quick Reply: Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.