Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur Vixen? >

Excalibur Vixen?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Vixen?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excalibur Vixen?

I just got an Excalibur Vixen for my 11 yr. old son. Anyone have any comments about it? Any setup tips? What kind of sights come with the bow, and should I think about automatically getting a scope for it? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excalibur Vixen?

That's a good choice. Did you get a rope cocker w/ the order? Cuts the effort in half to cock and centers the string each shot. If not, mark the string on both sides of the rail at rest w/ white-out before you wax it. You will get a peep and fibre optic pin w/ the bow. If you sight it in at 25 yds w/ stock Excal 360 gr arrows, he should be good from 20 - 30, but that's just a guess. I'd see how he does w/ that before going to a scope, as the range is all important and until he gets good at estimating those the scope would be more problems than it's worth, imho. Good luck to both of ya!!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good choice, get a rope cocker and start off using the peep thats come with it. It will kill a Moose so don't worry about deer.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

fine choice....should serve him very well. ditto on above suggestions.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

It is an awsome bow for a kid! That bow will serve him well for years to come. It should become an heirloom to his kids.
I'm surprised that you didn't mention your fav scope Dan!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks very much, guys. I have been lurking here once in a while, and appreciate all of the explanation you put into your discussion on crossbows. I will be getting the rope cocker separately but again mostly because of what you guys have said about the alignment. It should be interesting, and a major step up from the Jennings Devastator that we tried temporarily. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

It is an awsome bow for a kid! That bow will serve him well for years to come. It should become an heirloom to his kids.
I'm surprised that you didn't mention your fav scope Dan!
I kind of did, Don. I think an 11 yr old just starting out wouldn't be too adept at judging ranges which would make the V-zone semi useless. A simple peep and pin is just that, right? Simple to start w/.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the places where we will be hunting, unless I want to go in with a bush hog or something, 25 yards would be a long shot. Most of my stands, the shots are 15-20 max.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM

You made a fine choice. You do not have to have the rope cocker, but it will make it better. If you do not just mark the string like Dan said and you will be good to go. If not and the string is off, the arrow will go all over the place. The scope is a must for me, but like others have said, maybe not for a eleven year old. The pin and peep will work great, but the low light buck thirty shots may get ya. Good luck and keep us up todate!