Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New to Bow Hunting >

New to Bow Hunting

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to Bow Hunting

Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM

Default New to Bow Hunting

I'm new to bow hunting. I don't know much about bows, and I'm still learning about my own bow. I have a Titan 10 Point, and I love it so far. Just looking for any general advice.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Default RE: New to Bow Hunting

Well you have already experienced one rule, don't dry fire! But the other biggie is centering your string when cocking. I think you said something about an accudraw before, so if you have an acudraw you should be OK. But if you have your boyfriend with you and he does the cocking to save you time while you shoot, then it is an easy mistake. Most people will mark the string on each side of the barrel so as they pull it back they can keep it centered and then once cocked they can look at the marks and make sure it is right on. If this is off by just a little, and the string in not dead center your arrows will be off when you shoot and you will not get good arrow groups. This is the main thing alot of newbies do and when learned they will greatly improve the arrow groups. Just keep up on your arrows, bent arrows will shoot bad, even just a little bent. Roll them on a flat surface and make sure they do not have a wobble in them, or spin them like a toy top and make sure they look nice and true. I am sure there are a few more pointers, and someone else will think of them. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Also, have you had your bow looked at yet?