Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I hate the rut!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I hate the rut!

But only when i'm hunting a doe! I went down this weekend and setup saturday and didnt see much. It was youth season for shotgun but i only used the shotgun saturday and went out this morning with my crossbow. My dad went to a different site and dropped me off and i headed for the blind. I had 10 deer in when the feeder went off and some monster bucks. I could only shoot a doe thoughFinally a big enough doe came in that i decided to take her. She got chased around and was spooky from the bucks rutting her hard. Finally she gave me the greatest semi quartering away/broadside shot ever! So i got a good rest off my leg on a chair and squeezed off the shot. This is the first time i've shot at a deer with a crossbow mind you. I didnt see anything but deer jump up in the air and head for the woods. I heard it hit so i thought it was good. This was at 7:30 a.m. I stayed in till 9:30 and got out to look for my arrow. It was sitting there with white hair all around it[]Not such a good hit. She jumped and i just cracked the briskit. She ended up coming back around at 10 but i didnt know it was her untill i saw the cut 60 yars away when she was leaving. She's doesnt look like she's hurt and there was no blood so i hope she does ok.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hate the rut!

She should be fine,you would have seen blood if she was hit hard!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Da squirrel missed []How can this be with all those practice shots![:-]BooHoo [&o]I feel fer ya friend!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

sorry to hear that. at least she should be ok. better luck next time.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:36 PM

Why can you only shoot a Doe????????? The entire state is buck or doe and they don't sell buck only or doe only tags. All tags are sold as either sex tags. The only way you can not shoot a buck is if you have already shot one. Whats up with passing on monster bucks!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a friends property and he was managing it for big bucks, so he wanted me to just shoot does, I have a 160" that i saw friday on the bus, He was on a property i have permission to hunt! I'm psyched about that but I also have permission to hunt property where that 200" is. I have wednesday to next monday off school so i'm going to be hunting hard!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Getter done Thomas! Adreneline donesn't come cheap! You got a dose this time for sure! Ata boy!