Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Hunting off the ground >

Hunting off the ground

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Hunting off the ground

Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunging off the ground

I really cannot add much here. You are getting lots of good advice. I would say that the most important things said is to make sure the wind is in your face, when you hunt is when the sun is on your back if possible, the main part of your blind should be something they are accustomed to already like a dead fallen down tree, stay still. If you change the appearance of your fallen tree or if you use a ground blind you might have to wait a few days to a week, but thats not always the case. You can put up a ground blind and they might come right up to it the first day. They are more likely not to be spooked by it if you bush it up. I really like ground blinds because they work if you use them properly. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 AM

I have not hunted out of a blind yet. I do have one, I have heard all the previous things relative to setting them out prior to your hunt and letting them get used to it. To me, this kind of defeats the portability factor of them. I am sure that they can't look like a blind to a deer. They must be integrated with the surroundings. Also people say face into the wind. This could be important but even more important than that, to me, is don't smell like a human. Make sure you are clean. That buck might have picked up your scent rather than been worried about the blind and what it looked like.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishrman
They must be integrated with the surroundings. Also people say face into the wind. This could be important but even more important than that, to me, is don't smell like a human. Make sure you are clean. That buck might have picked up your scent rather than been worried about the blind and what it looked like.
I agree 100%.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am seeing deer from ground blinds set up only a week or so before hunting. A little time to settle in and a rain or two and I think they are great.Wind direction can be a bit of a problem with a ground blind but hunt as scent free as possible just like we should out of a tree stand.
What I am liking most about them is they really are quite a bit warmer cause they block the wind. They also allow for more movement than a tree stand does. I built another one today out of burlap bags cut open and stapled to the trees. A little brush and lane clearing debris around it and I will hunt it next Saturday wind direction permitting.
I also have an Ameristep doghouse but I would have to stick the whole Xbow out the window in order to take a shot. >>>>>Whack!!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had deer within 6 feet of the window on my blind,saw 9 turkeys out of
it also,no wind hard to stay awake,its a nasty job but someone has to do
the deed,hehehehe1[8D]
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM

I prefer elevation, but do use natural ground blinds, and took my biggest buck ever this year from the ground, a heavy 9 point with a 15.5" spread. Later my wife and I were in a nautural ground blind and had a decent buck about 8-10 yards out, but I saw it first and she was facing the wrong direction. If she had been me, he would be in the freezer.

I prefer all natural, such as the blow down you discuss. They pretty much all need improved, and I really enjoy working on a natural blind, it's somewhat of an art form. I've taken other good deer from the ground, and have had them as close as five or six yards, but they're on the prowl and aren't paying a lot of attention. You really have to be on your toes; of course, the further out you see the deer, the better your chances. Most deer will be alerted when they see you. They know the turf and know you don't belong there. It would be like you walking in your living room and seeing a deer sitting in the corner. Some will stick around, though. We had a doe look us over real good, get real antsy, but she stayed around and browsed, even though she kept looking us over.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Planter: I've read this over and over, now I gotta ask since I have the same Doghouse and Phoenix you have how you feel you need to stick the whole bow out the window?? I got enough room in mine for my fat arse, gal pal and bow, two chairs, although mines more comfortable than hers, lol. You got me puzzled!!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Planter: I've read this over and over, now I gotta ask since I have the same Doghouse and Phoenix you have how you feel you need to stick the whole bow out the window?? I got enough room in mine for my fat arse, gal pal and bow, two chairs, although mines more comfortable than hers, lol. You got me puzzled!!
I was thinking the same thing? Me and dad have sat in ours together also. I was a little on the tight side but it worked, maybe if he was a gal pal it would be better! But when I am alone I don't even consider sticking the bow out the window.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Dan and Jason.. I gotta guess I am getting the name of my little blind wrong. It's more like an ice fishing shanty then anything else. Sure can't be the same one you guys are using. Sounds like Dan has a sleeping bag rolled out in his and I can smell cooking bacon coming out of Jason's.
If I don't stick the Pheonix out the window the limbs are hitting fabric. I should get another one but I still prefer hunting out of the right tree or a previously built ground blind. >>>>Whack!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Redtail, check it out!http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16003&sid=423c4d7b4d38089782ac ef7e84b95645

Quick Reply: Hunting off the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.