Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue. >

Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue.

Hello to all

I have taken another short hiatus from the forum. I needed to get caught up around the house and take a break from the PC. I know arrow fletching has been covered on the forum but never really gave it much thought so I don’t know all the details.

I’m hoping you can help out. I shoot Easton Carbon Power bolts. It doesn’t say on the arrow what the dimensions are and their web sight doesn’t either. I want to re-fletch some that I have and need the scoop on process and application.

Here are the questions I have;

Of the Arizona Jigs, which one is preferred… left helical, right helical, straight, 1 degree yata yata yata. Which is best for cross bows?

Glue; If I remember right Don likes a gel type supper glue. What other types and brands are most preferred?

Vain strippers; There’s a Norway vane stripper for $24.00 Is that necessary or can you just use a razor blade to cut off the vane and remove the glue or epoxy with rubbing alcohol or some type of solvent?

The only decision I have made is I want to try those Blazers everyone keeps talking about.

Don I think it was you that mentioned there is a DVD that someone put together. Maybe it was you I can’t remember. Is their a way to get a copy of that from someone?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue.

Good post Roger! You asked alot more details then I did when I made a similar post a while back. Hopefully you get lots of info and I will decide to stop sitting on the bench and try it myself too!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Also forgot to mention the DVD too! If its out there someone send it to Roger so he can pass it on to me when he's done!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Jason how's it going?

I remember seeing your post but didn't wright anything down as far as recommendations. I figured at 6 bucks a pop I would just buy new bolts but I'm starting to accumilate arrows with bad feltchings but the bolts are fine. Hate to through them away.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Roger how are you?
I have screwed around with every como of fletching from a normal helical to lots of helical as well as a few degrees of offset to as much offset as I can get on an arrow. I've found that it makes no difference on a crossbow. I suggest you flip a coin. I use the helical mostly because I like how it looks good to me. I have not tried a left helical.
Super glue in gel form works well as does bohning's instant gel. The bes part of the bohning is the super fine hole in the tip. Lots of guys like goat tough. Bohning's platinum works well but I've found that you shouldn't use the arrow for at least two days.
If you are really articulate and have good hand eye co-ordination then the Norway stripper works well. They can damage a carbon arrow in a heart beat. The same goes with a razor but the weight and shape of the Norway is just that much better than a razor. The best thing the start with is a dull razor or bohning's stripper both are good because they aren't real sharp. What glue does not come off can be scraped off with the razor held 90 degrees to the shaft.
I think Mike/smokepole has the DVD but may have sent if off to someone else by now.
Nice to see you back online Roger. How's that BPS treating you?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Green Pea

Hey Jason how's it going?

I remember seeing your post but didn't wright anything down as far as recommendations. I figured at 6 bucks a pop I would just buy new bolts but I'm starting to accumilate arrows with bad feltchings but the bolts are fine. Hate to through them away.
Hey its been going great! I have finally got started hunting and me and the wife have been having good luck lately and pray that it last until Wednesday cause that is when we go back to doctor. See my POWER OF PRAYER post. The info from my post about re fletching is still out there but after the post I turned chicken and did not by anything![&o] But I now have a hand full of carbons looking at me too like yours are at you!

Don... Some guys say that the right or left helical can make a head come loose or go tight. Which is the best for keeping the point tight? Or is that just a farce?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Don good too hear from you,

Me and the BPS haven't spent any time together lately. My hours at work are insane, and flag football and soccer with the kids gets the rest of my time. I actually feel guilty going hunting because there are things that need done at home. I have been out hunting though. A little guilt never hurt anyone right?

I do want to tell you guys, on the second day off deer season I had a button buck walk right under my climbing stand. I didn't even hear him walk up behind me. I saw something move under my feet and there he was. At first I thought it was a doe.

He smelled the ground were I was standing when I attached my climber and looked around. I put some Fox urine on my boots as a cover scent and it got his attention. He walked around for about five minutes unnder me and then looked straight up the tree at me. He was stretching his neck out smalling the air and I guess I passed because he didn't run off. He just hung around.

I was hoping his big brother would walk in but it never happend. After about ten minutes in all he walked off and the sun hit the horizon about 15 minutes later. What a rush!!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jason, if you crank the broadhead or target point on as you should it will not come loose. The twisting force just isn't great enough to do anything. Use a broadhead wrench or a short set of needle nose to tighten them.
I hope you're wife has something good in the oven!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

The power of prayer,

Jason I just read that post and all I can say is my prayers are with you and your wife my friend. I am fortunate to have three healthy boys and wife that is indescribable. They are everything to me. My friend I hope and pray that you are blessed with a child. Reading that reminds me of how lucky I am. Sometimes we take things for granite.

I know you’ll let us know how things turn out. I am anxiously awaiting too hear.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Well thank you Roger, I know you mean it bud! When I hear, yo guys will hear! Sorry to have hijacked your post and anyone who reads down this far without backing out please post some good info for Roger! Cause I think its time I do it too!

Quick Reply: Blazer vanes, Jigs, Fletching strippers, and Glue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.