Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Red Dot or Scope >

Red Dot or Scope

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Red Dot or Scope

Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Red Dot or Scope

I have a Horton Hunter Supreme SL and at the range the other day having major problems. My fault of course. I thought maybe my scope rail was a little loose, so I snugged up the bolts holding the rail. Big mistake. All of a sudden I couldn’t move the dial-a-range. Lost 2 arrows as they went a good 20” low! I figured out the problem and backed the screws out a little. Now the dial-a-range turns freely.

What’s this got to do with red-dot vs scope???

Well, two things. My current red-dot is an 8 year old scope that was really designed for paint ball guns (just found that out). When you adjust the elevation, the windage changes L, and when you change the windage, the elevation changes L. Then I noticed a rattle that is coming from the scope. Sounds like a loose screw somewhere in the scope. I’m not completely down on the scope, but I think it’s time for a change.

I absolutely love this red dot for hunting, but now there are so many choices.

Does magnification useful in a hunting situation. I shoot 3D with my compound and I just added magnification and really like it, but this is totally different in a hunting situation.

What about multi range scopes or the red dots with 3 dots?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot or Scope

Just received my new CB and have not got it put together yet.It came
with a scope but am considering a Red Dot instead of the scope,have
used a Dot on my shotgun for turkeys and really like it quite well.Good
luck in your search hope you find the solution!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

i have a tasco red dot on my exocet and i love it. 2x might be nice...but i would'nt want any more magnefication than that.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Well like you said there is alot of choices out there now. I used to have a pin and peep on my old supermag and from there I got my first red dot. It was a simmons from cabelas, cheapest they had. Cost me thirty bucks if I remember right. That scope was fine and had no magnification. But with that one I only had one dot, and the old bow did not have dial-a-range on it. So I had it set to twenty yards and never shot at anything over that. I think my farthest kill to date is fifteen yards. Some guys say the red dots work great with dial-a-range and love it, read sproulmans post on it. Now they have the three dot reds out and the multiretical scopes to chose from. I have one friend at work say his three dots are right on and another say his are off a little, I think his hit just a little to high at twenty and thirty. When I got my new cb last year it came with a multiretical and I love the magnification, to me it gets back to aim small, miss small. But with that scope and the three dot red dots they are preset for the middle of the line bow and can be off depending on your bows speed. My thirty was four inches high and the fourty was not even worth trying to do. Also the red dots have one draw back that is shooter related. It really sucks when you forget to turn it off and then go out the next day and realize it in stand! Totaly sucks!!

Now after being on this forum and talking with the excal guys I was exposed to the best CB scope ever! Excal makes a scope called the varizone. It is a scope that has a twenty yard main hair, thirty, fourty and fifty yard markers. You set you main hair at twenty and then the scope has a speed ring on it that you adjust to your bows speed. Then your thirty, fourty, and fifty are right on! This scope has to be the best ever for multiretical scopes. Some say it does have not have as much light qualities but it seems to do good for me in the back yard at sunset. You can get the best deal on this scope at Bowhunterssuperstore.com It will cost you eighty bucks. But the scope is really a good one. Do a search on me as the author and look up varizone in the topic. Use the oldest one since that is when I first started asking about it and you can get alot of info about it from the search.

The red dots may work for ya, some guys say right on some say not. But alot of guys also do just fine with the single red dot and the dial-a-range. I like the magnification for me and the varizone gives me that and puts me right on at fifty yards. But I would never shoot that far but its nice in the back yard, and the coons are going to hate it!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 PM

I sold my Horton because of the "Dail-A-Range" .
Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

dogslayer, i am curious what did u get to replace that Horton?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:46 AM

Oh how I hate making decisions!

I’m only using this for hunting deer. I have a self imposed limit of 30 yards. So, I’m not real sure why I am making such a fuss. Currently my bow has about a 8’-9” drop from 20 to 30 yards, but if I set it about 2” high at 20 it is only about 4” low at 30. This way I can hunt one pin. If the deer is real close, I aim a little low. If he is out there between 27-30 yards I aim a little high. I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible.

The one problem with the veri-zone is I really don’t want the gap of 20 and 30 yards and having to decide which mark to use. If the deer is 25 yards, do you aim high with 20 pin or low with 30 pin?

I think I’m answering my own question. Now do I scrap my old red dot and get a new one or not? I could still go to the scope and set it up the same way (setting the crosshairs at 2” high at 20)
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 AM

Well I have not thought of it much, but if the deer is at 25 I will have to hold over a little or under on thirty. Not exactly sure since I have not drew blood yet with the V-zone. But in my situation all my shots are usually close and like I said I think my closest shot was fifteen or twenty yards with the exception of my first buck and he was about thirty yards, my first and only string jumping experience. I never like far shots so I always let them come in close. But I like being right on out to fifty yards. Alot of guys like the red dots and have good luck. I also have heard awsucks say ten point makes a great red dot with different colors and such. But no matter what you do you should get something new since you said you were having problems with your old paint ball one. It would suck to miss or injure a deer because of it.

Also, did you get them new carbons yet? If so how are they doing?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

25 or 35 or 45 w/ V-zone just center desired point of impact between the close and far aim points. You'll be amazed!!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the vari zone is a great scope if u want the 10 to 50 yd.setup. If u use it on big game other than deer its wonderful. That is if u are real good at est. yardage. Those triangles r good to throw on game quickly and let yer arrow fly. My choice is a fine xhair sighted in at 25 yds. Thats give a very clear view.

Quick Reply: Red Dot or Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.