Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I need some advice >

I need some advice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I need some advice

Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Spike

Default I need some advice

Here's the deal... Some of you might have seen a post yesterday that I got my first crossbow kill. Well in my my post I said that I didn't make a great shot. The problem is this, I have never practiced with broadheads. With my compound I practiced with field points then shot a couple times with b-heads always worked great! I did the same with the crossbow, got it sighted in with firld points then shot a couple b-heads. They weren't perfect shots but were close, I figured that was just me shooting offhand! Well today I shot about5 shots with b-heads, and could never get a good group. I then started shooting with a rest thinking it was just me. I ended up not feeling very confident with my crossbow! Does anybody have any ideas? I'm shooting a Horton Summit HD150, Easton 2216's with 100grMuzzy 3 blades. Help me out here. I loved the way this thing knocked down the doe....
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I need some advice

I had that problem with montecs this year. They wouldn't group well and with carbons they were way worse (not on the target) than with alums. I went and got some spitfires and they hit about 3" lower than field points....small adjustment and today they were all in 2 1/2" groups dead center. Needless to say I'm very happy with the spitfires.

Mitch
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Did you spin test the broadhead/arrow combo?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Spike

Yes they all spun great. I also read somewhere to mark the serving to make sure it's centered. I'm not sure what to do here. Ichanged from the eastons to the Horton arrows that came with the Xbow. Nothing has changed. Could there be something wong with the bow?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You should mark the string on either side of the outside of the track/barrel with something like dental floss or with white out when the string is at rest. When the string is cocked you look at the markings to see that your string is still centered. A rope cocker will make it easier to cock the string and not be off center. If its off center just pull back on the string and shift it till the string center is centered.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind you are shooting an arrow that is a LOT shorter then your old arrow. This means the broadhead can take control much easier. Also with half moon nocks, you need to make sure the moon is at a 90 with the odd fletch. If they are in at different angles, they can fly differntly. Like DNK mentioned, make sure you are cocking the bow well. Also make sure you stay in the shot until the arow hits. The more you site in, the more you want to pull your head out to see where the arrow hit.
Make sure your front end bolt is tight as well.
Randy
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Its called b-head tuning silly!!! I shot muzzys for twelve years, they did pretty good. Would say I only had fliers out to about a four inch pattern. This year I am shooting Tekan twos and they are nock buster. The montechs did not like my supermax 175, but they love my old supermag 150. You just have to find the right one for you bow. If you field points did well, then it cant be the bow. Keep trying!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Spike

Still needing help here..... could it be my pin is moving on me? Would a scope help? If so which one?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

Here is the one place where a compound really outshines a crossbow. I hope someone can correct me, but there really isn't any adjustment you can make to a crossbow to tune to broadheads. So, the only thing you can do is try different arrow broadhead combinations. I switched to Muzzys that seemed to shoot pretty well until they made Mechanicals legal in Ohio.

Now unless I am shooting out of a blind, I shoot mechanicals with my crossbow. I’ve never (and I’ve tried a few) had a mechanical not shoot right with field points.

My story:
I got the biggest wake-up call when I very first started hunting. My friend who was a compound shooter kept telling me that I needed to shoot the broadheads because they will shoot different than field points. Well I paid no attention. So, we drive down to his property some hour and a half away to go hunting. Before we go out, we decide to take a couple shots at a target. The broadheads hit the ground a foot in front of the target! I’m so glad I learned that before I shot at a deer! I can’t remember if I re-sighted the bow or sat that hunt out… That was some 17-18 years ago.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Spike

RedTail I'm shooting Muzzys now But can not get them even close.... I refuse to hunt with my Xbow until I can atleast get some sort of pattern. Then I could move my group to the point that I want to hit! I'm going to the shop this evening to to see if maybe I have a bad bow or something!

Quick Reply: I need some advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.