Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What would be a good sub. for rail lube? >

What would be a good sub. for rail lube?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What would be a good sub. for rail lube?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Default What would be a good sub. for rail lube?

Howdy! again yaw;

I was wondering if one of you good folks could tell me a good substitute for rail lube? Will vaselline work? or maybe white grease?

I would realy appreciate any thougths or comments on the subject.

God Bless/Good Hunting!

Holler Critter
Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would be a good sub. for rail lube?

From TenPoint!

Can I use a vaseline-like substance on my TenPoint crossbow rail instead of an oil-based rail lube?
Answer: Definitely NOT, unless you want to send your crossbow back to our Warranty/Repair Department for a good cleaning. The vaseline-like substances will build up in your trigger box and they also collect dirt. The result is normally the inability to cock your crossbow.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Different xbow mfgrs advise different solutions, I wax my serving every 40 -50 shots and that's it. You might try Tri-Flow on the rail, wax on the serving, or your bows mfgrs advice. lots of stuff out there will chemically eat your serving, but wax won't.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You really should stick with what the mfgr says. I use Excalbur's wax on the serving and heat it in with a heat gun and really rarely have to reapply. What is not suggested but that I do is to wax the string fibers. I guess I shouldn't because it will slow down the bow but I could care less about speed. What ever you use its like beer, moderation accecpt for Fridays!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Holler.. Just out of curiosity, why would you not want to use the wax the maker recommends? It's not like it cost much and you sure get alot of use out of a package. I "think" excalibur recomends WD40 for trigger and everybody has some of that around. The only thing I do that the maker does not suggest is Birchwood Casey SYNTHETIC SAFE action cleaner which seems to work great and leaves no residue. This I use only for the trigger assembly. >>>>>>Whack!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey have u tried T/C Bore Butter, its all natural and biodegradeable. Put some on the rails,i have been using it fer couple months now. Its slicker than Owl sh**!Don't know how it will effect string over long haul.[:-]
Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like Dnk said, stick with the manufacturer's recomended product, here's why, Horton rail lube: totally oderless
highly lubricious, less friction
superior adhesion, stays where you put it
all temp -45 to +450F
non-toxic and non-corrosive
won't wash off or disperse
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 AM

Ya know I may be the first to say it, but I know you guys are thinking it so here goes. First its mineral oil, and now its vaseline??? Where are you planing on sticking the arrows once you get them loaded??? That would be pushing the sadisim envelope. LOL, JK,

Not sure if Sadisim is the right word, but you know, the people that are into pain!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Masochism is the operative word here.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default bore butter

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Hey have u tried T/C Bore Butter, its all natural and biodegradeable. Put some on the rails,i have been using it fer couple months now. Its slicker than Owl sh**!Don't know how it will effect string over long haul.[:-]
did this seem to still work good on your bow after using it my husband thought it might work to? did you leave it on or wipe it off?

Quick Reply: What would be a good sub. for rail lube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.