Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 expandables in 175lb >

expandables in 175lb

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

expandables in 175lb

Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default expandables in 175lb

was just wondering what you all think about expandables in a 175lb crossbow over 300fps. I was told it's going to have to much snot behind it and cause the blades to open prematurely. I was thinking of buying a pack of spitfires and giving them a try.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: expandables in 175lb

slayer: can't help ya there. I tried zwickey grapplers for turkey and my bows inertia slid them onto the vanes before they hit the target. I had to put a small rubber o rig on the shaft behind them. I think 10 pt advises expandables, you might want to check their forum. I quit looking and trying b-heads once I screwed on a Slick Trick. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Just double band it. You can test it by hanging a piece of paper ahead of a target. If its open you see it right away on the paper.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I LOVE Spitfires, but my CB is only 150lbs. Unless someone is hunting something larger than whitetails, I really don't see the need to shoot anything heavyer than 150lbs (Pa's minimum) unless you are looking to shoot at longer ranges. Every deer I've shot,except one, which was a spine shot, (dropped in her tracks)I have had a pass through!
Obviously, this isonly my opinion.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 PM

I shoot Rage 2 blades and they won't open early.. Or atleast mine haven't.

Bill
Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

We have used the Spitfires at TenPoint for several years and have had great success. I don't think you will have a problem.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM

I have had the itch for expandables for some time now and this year am going to try these. They are not the fold back kind so I do not think they have the pop open problem like some do. I have been shooting these this summer and they have been flying true. Also my block target is showing proof that they open up fully as they enter the target. Tekan Two's. Also I am shooting a 175# horton.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:54 AM

I shoot 100 Gr Spitfires with my Horton Legend, it is 175 Lb bow, so far I am batting 1000, every deer I have shot at I have killed, longest any have run is about 70 yards.

I am real finicky with my shot placement though, have passed probably over 70 deer in 5 years that were within range because I didnt like the shot presentation they gave me.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Spike

Omegalover made the BEST statement regarding picking your shots thatI have ever heard! keep your shots within your effective range and stay off the shoulder and Spitfires and many other mechanicals will work just fine!

RG
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the help guys. I was going to try expandables but i gave my fixed blades some practice yesterday i had arrows flying everywhere so i was like what the heck so i went and grabbed a set of allen wrenches and started checking all my mounts. Had a loose screw on my back scope mount and the single screw that goes in that holds the rail that the dial a range moves was turned 3/4 of the way out i tightened that back up and discovered that was letting my arrows go wild. got it tweaked down and im shooting lazers. I think im just gona stick with the 100gr wasp hammer sst's now. They seem to be shooting great.

Quick Reply: expandables in 175lb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.