Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks >

Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks

Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks

I can’t find any 100 grain Slick Tricks anywhere. I have 85 grain Slick Tricks but would like to use 100. What broadhead fly’s as close to a field point in your experience?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks

Roger, thats because they are the current hot broadhead. Wait a while and you can get the next hottest broadhead. In my limited experience after squaring my arrow shafts and inserts thunderheads, wasp mechanicals and wasp cam locks are the closest. Current thinking is to use a smaller broadhead for better flight. The wasps mechanicals are the closest and the cam locks are a close second or the same. Thunderheads work better in my compound than my xbow, donno why but its not enough to make a difference shooting at deer.
Hows that BPS shooting?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Don,

It's shooting nice tight little patterns at 75 yards. I don't have a scope on it so everything outside of 6 inches is me making a bad shot. I know some guys use scopes on their slug barrels but most of my hunting will be in the woods and not an open area. I plan on shooting a box of 5 today from a bench to see how tight of a pattern I can get. Those tru balls have one heck of a kick to them but seem to be pretty consistant.

I have a question I bet you can answer. I do have 85 grain Slick Tricks. The bolts I have are Easton Carbon Power "C2". My cross bow is a Horton 175 and shoots 305fps. What total weight should I be trying to match up with it. I don't have a digital scale to weigh the bolt and it doesn't say on the bolt how much it weighs. I can call the Pro Shop that sold me the bolts and get the weight " they have digital scales there".

My only concern with the 85 grain Slick Tricks is that they are too light to be safe for the bows fps.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Muzzy are my favorite!!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Very disappointed in the availability of the slick tricks. I really wanted to try them this year they are still out of stock and it's getting too close to season to wait much longer. I don't know if I'm going to shooting spitfires or my four blade muzzys that I have left from my compound.

Mitch
Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Im having excellent (same as field point)results from the one piece design of the Montec G5's
Im currently using the 125 grain but have had equal results from the 100 and 85 grains as well.
Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Roger, good to hear that about your shotgun.
If you want to use a certain weight of broad head then you will cannot just try to get a certain total weight. You still need to attain a certain FOC. That is unless you are going to add weights to the front and back. If I were you I would look for somewhere around 10 to 20% FOC and be happy. A FOC too high is better than one too low. There are many discussions about the percentage of FOC but in my experience in shooting up to 40 yards its not that critical. I suppose if you want to shoot targets at 70 to 100 yards then you will have to pay more attention. There's a link for you. http://www.socalarchery.com/Information/front%20of%20center.htm
If you want total weight to be increased you are probably use a heavier arrow shaft. Again you can add weight to the front and back to acheive it but I kinda think you may want a heavier shaft because of shaft spine (stiffness of the shaft). As weight goes up the spine or stiffness should increase. You can also use smaller lighter vanes or feathers to lighten up the rear end. Some guys use epoxy to bond their inserts to the shafts to add weight. You can also use a longer arrow. Bottom line is to experiment and find a happy medium of weight, speed and range (light stuff donesn't want to fly further with great accuracy and has no momentum to pass through. Its all about a good balance of qualities that you seek.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Green Pea: Pm me an addy, I got a spare pack of 100 gr ST's I'll loan ya til yours get in. Don't know beans about your set-up, but these lil buggers are deadly for me.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Roger, I forgot to say something about your question on overall weight. I would imagine that you would want to follow the manufacurer's recommendation for min weight. Just remember its a balancing act of what you want. Bow longevity, flatness of arrwo trajectory, wind bucking ability, penetration, noise. Again you are going to have to experiment. I use heavy stuff at just under 440 grains like Mike and Dan.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I tell ya what,

Your'e a good group of guys.

Quick Reply: Can't find any 100 grain Slick Tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.