Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads >

Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads

Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads

Thunderhead vs Crimson Talon Raptor broadheads the bolts with the red vanes are the Raptor and the one with green vane is the Thunderhead the other one stuck in the ground to the side of the bag. It my be me or my set up but I'mgoing with the mechanical. What do you guys think? I'm not trying to put down Fixed broadheads just my opinion.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads

Only shot three different b-heads outta 340 plus fps Emax, quit lookin when I tried the 100 gr 4 blade Slick Tricks. Was a little leary of the mechanicals due to inertia affect of high fps, double banding ect. The Slicks be it for me.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Slick Tricks got to besome good broadheads alot of people say good things about them. I will get some and give them a try.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You'll never go wrong with Thunderheads. They are tough and accurate. I shot one through a 45 gal drum three times before the blades exploded off the head and the head was pretty much perfect when all was said and done. There are lots of good mechanicals I like my Wasp mechanicals. Like Dan many people are turning to Slick Tricks. I've shot a few and the Wasps are the best flying broadheads for me to date. Haven't tried the Slick Tricks yet but I am sure I will be pleased when I do. I think you should shoot the most accuate broadhead regardless of any other feature. Yes I do double band my wasps although I know they will not open in flight. Either way they give me the most confidence which will give me the most success.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Reed, I shoot the Crimson Raptors. I have shot the Talons but the Raptors are so sharp, they cut their way outta the package themselves. LOL. Can't hardly put them on bolts without getting badly cut. I use steel gloves to do it. LOL. It's like a professor I knew once who told me he had invented an acid sooo strong, it would eat it's way outta anything, glass, steel, lead, pottery,or anything! So I asked him, "What do you keep it in then?" He then told me that the grand daddy long leggedspider, which has no fangs and can't bite you, has the worlds most deadlyest poison! To which I asked again, "Then how do you know?" I look at things differently from most I guess. Do you see a half glass of water, or is it half full? I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. LOL. What was we talking about again? When you get this old, you stray way off sometimes. My wife has a radio collor on me now.
BBO
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Reed, I shoot the Crimson Raptors. I have shot the Talons but the Raptors are so sharp, they cut their way outta the package themselves. LOL. Can't hardly put them on bolts without getting badly cut. I use steel gloves to do it. LOL. It's like a professor I knew once who told me he had invented an acid sooo strong, it would eat it's way outta anything, glass, steel, lead, pottery,or anything! So I asked him, "What do you keep it in then?" He then told me that the grand daddy long leggedspider, which has no fangs and can't bite you, has the worlds most deadlyest poison! To which I asked again, "Then how do you know?" I look at things differently from most I guess. Do you see a half glass of water, or is it half full? I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. LOL. What was we talking about again? When you get this old, you stray way off sometimes. My wife has a radio collor on me now.
BBO
LOL
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Boy if this is not the age old argument,,Nothing has been found to out penetrate the Rocket Steelhead and I do mean nothing...This test has been done several times in the past(with ballistic gellatin,plywood,steel drums,and dead cow hindquarters) Miles Keller did one of the most recent tests....Of course they may need to be double banded depending on the speed you are shooting, I have found that the expandables that do not use bands have a chance of opening when the speed reaches over 400fps or are exposed to a massive amount of energy from high poundage bows(crossbows in particlular)...One of the few fixed broadheads that seem to fly at high speeds are the WaspSST 75 or 80g heads.Also their Jackhammer(I prefer Rockets bands over Wasp bands) does a number on whitetails...I have tested the WaspSST 75g at speeds exceding 450fps and hit to point of aim...
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Come on! What are you shooting exceeding 450fps?
BBO
Old 06-27-2006, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Come on! What are you shooting exceeding 450fps?
BBO
No I'm shooting speeds excess of 320fps!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:43 PM

BBO, there are devices that shoot well over 450fps, how about a 16ins 2512 xx75 going over 600fps, I will leave it up to you to look up said device.....We do not need to advertise on this forum for the x-bow haters that look on these forums for any extra ammo to use against us.....

Quick Reply: Fixed vs Mechanical broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.