Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Red Dot or Scope? >

Red Dot or Scope?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Red Dot or Scope?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Red Dot or Scope?

Which is better when talking about the low end of the price range? I've gotta do something because I'm tired of the over-50 blur I'm dealing with from the iron sights on my Barnett Wildcat... and, tightwad that I am,I don't want to mount something on the ol' pig that's worth thrice what the crossbow itself is worth.

I swiped the little red dot pointer sight off my kid's BB gun and have been playing around with it with pleasant results, but I really don't know if Iwant to put my trust into a battery powered sighting system.

So...

I know I'd like the red dot but the scope doesn't have batteries to go dead at the worst possible time. Looking for somethingin the$35-40price range. Suggestions?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot or Scope?

I guess thats a choice to choose from. Give me a PM about a red dot.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:37 AM

On my old horton I went from a "pin and Peep" to a red dot and loved it. Thought it preformed well and liked its compact size. But the first time you end the day with an exciting hunt from say seeing a big one or just seeing stuff as you are walking out andyou forget about it. Then the next time you go out and get all comfortable you look down and see that you never turned it off! I did it three times! I liked my old red dot, but my new CB came with a multi retical scope on it and now I love it more. The batteries will last forever on the red dot, its the user that makes them go dead prematurely, it least in my case.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P: See if you can find a BSA xbow scope. I've never seen their xbow scope, but I have 3 of their other models on rifles, and am very well pleased w/ them. They have a life-time guarantee and are really low priced. For you red dot guys, can't you carry a spare battery? I've got a small pack for all my goodies, and carry extra batteries for range finder, flash light and my hearing device I got at Radio Shack for under $10 which is about the size of a Zippo. It works great! And I've had to use them from leaving stuff on when I thought it was off.LOL
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM

I had a muti rectal scope on my Barnett and the biggest buck I have ever had a shot at came in one evening as the sun was going down. I could not see through that scope to save me from sudden death.I didn't get that buck,bad shooting site.
the next morning I went and got the red dot. that evening I tried it at the same time and same spot. I could see everything.clear as a bell with the red dot.

I will use it till it lets me down.I have two of the multi rectials scopes in my bow box.they work great till you look into the setting sun.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

I had a muti rectal scope on my Barnett and the biggest buck I have ever had a shot at came in one evening as the sun was going down. I could not see through that scope to save me from sudden death.I didn't get that buck,bad shooting site.
the next morning I went and got the red dot. that evening I tried it at the same time and same spot. I could see everything.clear as a bell with the red dot.

I will use it till it lets me down.I have two of the multi rectials scopes in my bow box.they work great till you look into the setting sun.

Thanks for the tip, TC!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Update... Had a death in the family, so I've been kinda sidelined for the past week.

Got a red dot scope (thanks a million,Smokepole!) that I've been playing around with. No question about it. I think the red dot is the best thing since sliced bread. Even my crummy eyeballs have no problem seeing the dot and putting it where it needs to be.Makes for a lot more confidence in my aiming, for sure.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:16 AM

red dot is the way to go!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have red dots on both of mine , once you get it dialed in they're fabulous . I've actually shot at the same 3" dot on a target from 20 and 30 yards and hit within 1/2" with 8-10" holdover at 30 . Figuring holdover with them can be a chore though . I recently bought a crossbow scope for better light conditions when I blind hunt , it's been much harder for me to dial in a red dot than a scope . Maybe it's just because I'm more used to scopes . I also dread the thought of getting ready for a hunt only to discover that I forgot to turn off the red dot during my last practice session .
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM

I'd go with a red dot. It is pretty hard to beat them. If the bow is on and the dot is were you want it that's were the arrow will be. The batteries do last a long time but it does take some care to make sure you shut it off. I'd run the risk of a dead battery compared to not being able to see through the scope or see the crosshairs.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Red Dot or Scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.