Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My Horton is on the way . >

My Horton is on the way .

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My Horton is on the way .

Old 05-16-2006, 10:41 PM

Default My Horton is on the way .

I've got a Horton Explorer xl on the way . I have never had a crossbow . My xbow experiance is -0- . If you have any advice , I'd appreciate it . It will be coming with no bolts . I'm shooting Gold Tip out of my "vert" , I was thinking of somthing similar for the Horton . Are these any more accurate than my compound bow (vert) ? Thanks . I hope I'll take to this as well as I did to my "normal" bow .
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 PM

Default RE: My Horton is on the way .

ORIGINAL: dogslayer

I've got a Horton Explorer xl on the way . I have never had a crossbow . My xbow experiance is -0- . If you have any advice , I'd appreciate it . It will be coming with no bolts . I'm shooting Gold Tip out of my "vert" , I was thinking of somthing similar for the Horton . Are these any more accurate than my compound bow (vert) ? Thanks . I hope I'll take to this as well as I did to my "normal" bow .
The Tenpoint ProElite arrows are Goldtips. Crossbows are no more accurate than compounds. Easier to master, yes. Trajectory is very similiar to a typical compound setup. Do yourself a favor and get a cocking device. It will allow you to cock it on both sides of the barrel evenly, enhancing accuracy.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new xbow, i hope it does well for you. I think with the open mind set it will slip into yer heart like a warm fuzzy puppy. Crossbows are just a little different than Compounds, won't take you long to get the hang of it. They are great to shoot, get a cocking rope or the crank setup tocock string its easier and you get better accuracy.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Doegirl! Welcome. Glad you wandered over here. How is the scope working?
Randy
Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Dogslayer, congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you have lots of fun.
Welcome to the family doegirl! And yup, I agree with ya 100%.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Glad hear you made a purchase, you will be happy! I use the Horton carbon arrows out of my horton and they shoot excelent. I like the carbons cause it seems as though I was always bending the aluminums up. If you don't go with horton arrows make sure you get a bolt with a half moon nock on it, I think most of the new hortons have the microflight arrow barrel on it and the flat nocks will not shoot right out of it. Most people are telling you to get a cocking aid and their is two reasons for that. I do not have one but think about getting one after every practice round. One your back will get a little sore after alot of practice, and second is pulling the string back straight. If you pull your string back off centered ( left or right) it will really affect your arrow groups and you will get discouraged. I just mark the center of the string on the center of the barrel before its cocked and then keeped that lined up asyou pull the string back, mark it with a majic marker. Also did you get a scope with it?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM

Hey , Hotburn76 , it is coming with a red-dot . I don't know for sure if it is the multi-dot or not . As for string alignment , I had an idea . What if you were to put a nock on either side of the "barrel" ? Would that keep proper alignment each time ? Thanks to all .
Old 05-18-2006, 06:04 AM

Not sure if the knock would work. I am sure they would work while your pulling back as the string at that point is perpendicular to the barrel. But once it is on th latch and you relax your hands the string pulls down in a V shape so I would think the knocks would need to be out a little since the string when in the V shape would actually be longer across the barrel, if not I think the knocks would pop up over the edge of the barrel. Does this make sense or did I confuse you more?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would be much easier to mark the string on each side of rail. Of course you can try out the nock set but watch closely to see if it marr's or scatches yer rail.[8D]
Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I've thought about using a tied on piece of serving. The tied on would be less likely to cause any harm. And it won't fly off later and "put your eye out" as they say.

Quick Reply: My Horton is on the way .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.