Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow Question

Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Question

Rebel is right about the width and I looked ut the min. weight for Horton and it is 415 grains, but they cheat on their speed chart and use a 385 grain arrow to get speed.
Tar Heel

There's More to an Arrow than Speed
*PLEASE NOTE: Arrows of less than 415 grains should NOT be shot from any compound crossbow. Using arrows weighing less will void the warranty of the bow, could damage the bow and could result in personal injury. The results shown below reflect using a 385 grain arrow which was used for test purposes only.
Arrow Ballistics Comparison

Distance
(yards)
Vertical Drop
(inches)
Speed
(fps)
Energy
(ft. lbs.)

- -
345 359
112 110

+2 +2
338 352
108 106

0 0
331 345
103 102

4 2
323 338
100 98

13 10
316 329
98 96

24 20
309 320
90 87

37 33
301 311
86 83
Red: 426 grain-arrow
Black: 385-grain arrow

Tests conducted with a 200-pound Hunter Max 200 and a 100-grain point. Actual results may be more or less, depending on particular arrows used.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the alum. 2219's 20" long use 100gr. head. My reason is i like a heavy arrow for great penetration, the plus is easier on xbow and it helps to dampen the noise. Another plus is the fact it uses much of the limbs energy so vibration is limited, and limbs live a longer life!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

the carbons I'm using are recommended by Barnett for the Quad 300. As I said earTier, I was just amazed at how flat they shot.

the 2x3 buck I shot las October 29th, was about 12 feet out from the base of my API Telescoping Packmaster and I was approximately 18 feet up. I aimed behind the right shoulder, high. and watched the bolt enter the ground from behind its left front leg before I heard the string stop. I used a 125 grain tri blade. I had gotten both lungs and the heart. He traveled about 50 yards before he fell over dead.

It's lke the rounds I make for my 270 Winchester. I've used the same hunting load since the early 1980's, and had only one doe run off for a distance of 25 yards. This carbon bolt and broadhead combo work very well and I'm staying with it.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: moxie1884

the carbons I'm using are recommended by Barnett for the Quad 300. As I said earTier, I was just amazed at how flat they shot.

Everyone I have talked to about arrows, have recommanded Carbons.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Dominant Buck

[hr]
Arrow Performance Specifications
Many of our customers have inquiredabout howfar an arrow willdrop at certain yardages and speeds. The following are the results of testing we conducted recently. The arrow weight for this test was 400 grains andtest speeds ranged from 200 fps to 400 fps. The crossbow was sighted in at 20 yards.We also include in these chartskinetic energy figures in ft/lbs for a specific speed and distance. We hope you find this information benifical and interesting. If you have any questions please contact us.

Arrow velocity of 200 fpsArrow velocity of 225 fps
Arrow velocity of 250 fpsArrow velocity of 275 fps
Arrow velocity of 300 fpsArrow velocity of 325 fps
Arrow velocity of 350 fpsArrow velocity of 375 fps
Arrow velocity of 400 fps
Old 04-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that carbon arrows are the cats meow fer some folks. Their are others like me who just plod along with the old alum. and kill our just the same. Like i said there are several reasons i use them. I haven't had a deer get away yet! I hope they never do, besides those carbons cost more and i be a poor man.[]
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Mike, the next time you go and by bolts check out Beman's line, the thunderbolt was at the archery shop for cheaper than aluniunum. The other thing to do is to see if any vert bow hunters are using any shafts that you can cut down to an appropriate length.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

DNK those are good tips and info, thanks.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Alot of people don't understand why horton has the halfmoon nocks and I did not until I got my new Horton. I was using the new carbons that came with it and loved them but wanted to save on them so I got out some old hortons that had the flat nock on them and they went all over the place. But as I was shooting I noticed one arrow was always doing good and hitting its mark. After closer inspection of that arrow and the others I noticed that it was a halfmoon and not flat. I went to my local bow shop and he said with the new hortons you have to have the halfmoon nocks because the barrel is not flat. They have what is called a
Microflight arrow groove. I dont now if the lower end ones have it but its like the end of your barrel is like an arrow rest about 3/8 of an inch, and then the entire barrel is cut out more than what the arrow needs to be centered. When you half moon nock is being pushed buy the string the arrow is actually lifted out of the barrel and is only resting on the very front of the barrel as it is being shot. It is the same as a regular bow with only the string and a rest tuching the arrow as it is being shot. On the old hortons the flats were ok because they did not have this but you can get poor shooting with the arrow in full contact of the barrel the entire length. If you use a flat nock in this barrel as the arrow gets to the end it will be spooned or pushed up at the end. It is another precise thing that horton has that improves their quality. As far as alum. or carbons I like the carbons better. They don't bend and they are either straight or broke. With alum. they can be slightly bent and youmay not be aware and then have poor shooting.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey hotburn! havent seenya in a while! pm is goin your way

Quick Reply: Arrow Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.