Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow Question

Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Question

Here my 2 cents! Alum.is good but bends during shot, called paradox. Carbons are usually lighter and faster and stiffer almost no flex when shot. Now the Engineering? why flat and half moon type nocks! It has to do with quality control of close tolerences of rail and trigger for precise alignment. A half moon will catch the string over a wider range of + or - of tolerence. That being said, the others that use a flat nock are built to tighter measurements. They don't vary much as they are ofhigh quality trigger and rail systems. You asked and there it is, and i won't tell you what i shoot!I LIED, Excalibur!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ARROW SELECTION
Old 04-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Dnk,,,,, In the 1st picture, the aluminum bolts went over the decoy and are burried in the ground. I dug them out. The ground was very soft and wet at the time.

The line above the carbon bolts in the second pictures was where I place my 10 yd line of my scope for all 4 shots from the bench.

I could have readjusted my scope but felt very good about the carbon bolt flight and left it where it was.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Here my 2 cents! Alum.is good but bends during shot, called paradox. Carbons are usually lighter and faster and stiffer almost no flex when shot. Now the Engineering? why flat and half moon type nocks! It has to do with quality control of close tolerences of rail and trigger for precise alignment. A half moon will catch the string over a wider range of + or - of tolerence. That being said, the others that use a flat nock are built to tighter measurements. They don't vary much as they are ofhigh quality trigger and rail systems. You asked and there it is, and i won't tell you what i shoot!I LIED, Excalibur!
Gaget head! I makes sense to me but still........ur a gaget head. I got that from a very reliable source! Not telling who said that. Good research tho.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Atta Boy Smokepolehall, you make my Ten Point Xbow look better all the time. Built to tighter measurements, high quality rigger and rail system. I just knew my flat nocks meant something but didn't know exactly what until you explained it so very well. LOL Thanks pal,
BuddyBo
Old 04-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Moe, I read all the posts and I did not see any info on minum weight all bows have one, I know barnett recommends 3 grains per pound 150lbs
is 450 grains, my excalibur is 350 grains, don't know it for Horton. But if you go below this you can trash your bow and some carbons will be too light, I perfer to go over the minimum to take care of my bow. Whatever you shoot make sure the weight is there.

Tar Heel
Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Can I use carbon bolts on my Excalibur?
Carbon arrows come in an assortment of weights, and as long as the total mass weight is above the our minimum recommendation for your model (350 grains) and the outside diameter is large enough (.300") they shoot well. Are they worth the extra money? Maybe...maybe not, they stay straighter and penetrate slightly better, but they cost 1.5 to 2 times as much as aluminum. Excalibur is now selling a carbon shaft by Gold Tip which is the same O.D. as a #22 shaft (.343) and similar weight to a 2213.[*]What arrow should I use on my Exocet?
Exocets are at there best with 2216s .Heavier shafts just don't give enough extra grunt to justify their velocity loss. 2213s shoot really well but don't use less than a 100 grain point with them and don't use them on bigger game than deer.

[*]What arrow should I use on my Vixen?
The Vixen is really a toss up between 2216s and 2213s. 2216s give a little better flight and are better on heavier game like Elk, Bear and Moose, but for whitetails a little bit of "get there fast" goes a long way, so for them my vote goes to 2213s.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: martinfaw

Moe, I read all the posts and I did not see any info on minum weight all bows have one, I know barnett recommends 3 grains per pound 150lbs
is 450 grains, my excalibur is 350 grains, don't know it for Horton. But if you go below this you can trash your bow and some carbons will be too light, I perfer to go over the minimum to take care of my bow. Whatever you shoot make sure the weight is there.

Tar Heel
Agreed
Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Dominant Buck

DnK, did you noticed in my post,

As long as the total mass weight is above the our minimum recommendation for your model (350 grains) and the outside diameter is large enough (.300") they shoot well.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

DnK, did you noticed in my post,

As long as the total mass weight is above the our minimum recommendation for your model (350 grains) and the outside diameter is large enough (.300") they shoot well.
Yup, your both correct but I still use a slightly heavier bolt than needed for two reasons.
One, its a whole lot easier on your bow
Two, the heavier the bolt, the longer it stays on the string, which causes it to absorb more energy from the bow which gives the bolt more energy, which allows for more penetration through bones, which means less deflection off of bones, which means more deer and less tracking. All this is theory which means I may not know what I am talking about which means
The Squirrel is gonna bash me, which means I said which means too much!
Some stupidity aside as long as you stay with a 22 or 21 sized arrow/bolt yu ok. I would think if it gets too fat the bolt will start getting pushed unevenly. Still I would rather shoot the heaviest that my bow likes which is some where around 450 grains. Heavier means quiet as well.
Did I misunderstand what you said Reb?

Quick Reply: Arrow Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.