Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow noise

Old 01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Crossbow noise

can a deer hear the noise the crossbow makes when you shoot it? will he be able to dodge the shot because of the noise or it depends on the amount of yards? [>:]
Old 01-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbow noise

I believe it would depend on whether or not you are making a 10 yard or a 40 yard shot. I can tell you at 10 to 12 yards, I watched the bolt hit the deer and the ground about the same time I heard the string stop.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot 24 deer since I started hunting with a crossbow,I have a 10 point and it was rather loud till I quited it down last year,it shoots at over 300 fps 30 yards is only 90 ft so as long as they are not looking right at me I will take them but I will not shoot one that is looking right at me more than 20 yds. They have fast reactions but sound takes about a tenth of a second to go 30 yds and register on their hearing the arrow takes about one third of a second to get there;I have never had one jump the string at 30 or less unless they are looking right at you when you shoot.
Hope this helps. LEE
Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the info
Old 01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are welcome.Lee
Old 01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Lee so you hunt in tree stand? like how many feet of the ground do you have your stand or you recomend me to put it on? how far did you shoot the deer yourfarthest deer?closest? thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I normally hunt between 14 and 25 ft up the more open the area is the higher I go.
The fartherest I ever shot at a deer was 55 yds;this big buck came out at the same spot every night and I finnally set up as close as I could get a tree stand and practiced the shot till I had it down pat,then he jumped the string and I hit him in the liver so I do not shoot that far any more{I did get him but if he had moved 3 inches more it would have been a gut shot}.
The closeest was on a drive and I seen him running toward me;he stopped about 6 ft away and turned broadside and looked back the way he came from.The two I got this year makes 102 with some kind of a bow,I took my first in 1957 with a long bow.Lee
Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

so did he hear the noise of your crossbow? or he didn't have time? do you use a red dot or scope? what type of crossbow?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, he jumped the string as they say, I was lucky to get him if it had not been far enough forward to hit the liver I would havebeen chasesing him all over the county.
I shoot a 10 point at this time.[ chrony say it shoots at 310fps ]I use a bushnell rifle scope, the model is a bantam, the end of the wide cross hair on top is 15 yds the cross in the center is 27.5 the tip of the bottem large cross hair is 45 yds; this has worked well for me since long beforetheir were special scopes for crossbows.Lee
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Lee, I also shoot a ten point CB. How did you quieten it? Also, you shoot a rifle scope. No problems yet? I hear the rifle scopes have reverse recoil and not recommended for CBs. If rifle scopes are ok, then I could use more mag, like 4 power or 5. Thanks,
BuddyBo

Quick Reply: Crossbow noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.