Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What to do now?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to do now?

I have a horton team realtree explorer 175 red dot scope shoots awesome I am selling it since I can pull my bow back again and I love my bowtech it will come with 3 carbon bolts, Quiver, scope, soft case, 2 spitfire broadheads one still bloody. Its like new bought in 8/05 for 499.99I would keep it but it will do me no good unless I get hurt again highly likely but we will take that as it comes I will sell it for $350.00 I will also consider trades of almost any sort guns, bows, beer, etc etc etc
Old 01-21-2006, 05:20 AM

Do you want wheels or not? That is the main question. With a recurve crossbow like Excalibur you can do everything yourself. With a compound you need a shop to do the maintenance. I like the idea that if Murphys Law strikes I'm not done hunting for the day. Ifyou nick a string with the broadheadyou can replace the stringin 2 minutes with a recurve. That was the deciding factor for me when I chose the Excalibur Phoenix.

A compound crossbow will weigh more than a recurve. The compound crossbows are more compact & are well suited to still hunting. A recurve is wider through the limbs. The best thing to do is shoot both types & make a decision from there. They're all alot of fun.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:16 AM

I chose an Excalibur Phoenix. After going tp a shop and handling different brands it was an Excalbur hands down.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 PM

Are you able to get anywhere to hold and/or shoot a variety? Stay away from the SteelForce, but the other Hortonswould probably meet your needs.

I endorse TenPoint bows for folks looking to hunt, and agree that Excaliburmakes fine bows, but in my opinion a bit wide for some hunting applications.

The complete line is more expensive, but the quality and design warrant it. There are some at entry level pricing that are anything but "entry level".The Titan and Pro Elite were awarded Inside Archery's Best buy awards.

Also take a look at the integrated cocking aids. I have a ACUDraw (crank) on my Elite.Depending on your injury and capabilities, this needs to be a primary consideration.

In the end, it is a personal choice that only you can make. Best of luck finding the bow that is right for you.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 PM

I would go with the legend 175. It is a cousin to mine and I love it. Just about any Horton or excaliber (except there cheap models) are great bows.

[/align]
Old 01-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Picking out a crossbow is just like picking out any weapon you are going to hunt with. If you can, go to a proshop or sporting goods store that has a wide variety of crossbow to choose from. Then start picking them up and bringing them to your shoulder. Find one that feels "right"! Next step is to take it to the range and shoot it. When you finally do choose one and buy it, take it home and practice often. This part of the process will help you become one with your bow and that is extremely important.

Just about any crossbow that you buy from any of the major manufacturers will be a quality choice. They vary according to price, which is dictated by poundage, components and accessories, but start out with one that feels comfortable to you. The more natural it feels the more confident you will feel and the better you will shoot with it.

As far as poundage is concerned, ask your self this: "How far do I want to walk to pick up the arrow after it has passed through the deer?" A 150 pound bow will easily do that. I have found that the heavier draw weights, as with vertical bows, are less forgiving and lead to higher wear and tear on your equipment. And for those longer practice sessions, cocking 150 pounds will go a lot easier on the shooter than a 175 or 200 pounder.

Bottom line is: Find the crossbow that feels the most natural in your hands and that has good balance for YOU. It is an investment that will last for many years so it pays to take the time to choose the right one for YOU! Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Bottom line is: Find the crossbow that feels the most natural in your hands and that has good balance for YOU. It is an investment that will last for many years so it pays to take the time to choose the right one for YOU! Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.
As DJH put it is the correct thing. I would suggest you go to several archery shops that will let you shoot them and try every one they have. After you've shot them all, make your decision.