HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   do you use a red dot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/129551-do-you-use-red-dot.html)

takedownfreak123 01-19-2006 03:27 PM

do you use a red dot

I use regular sights. i try a red dot the arrowswere all over the place

moosehunter21 01-19-2006 04:54 PM

RE: do you use a red dot

I have shot a mult-a-range 4x32 scope and it worked well. I have not used a red dot scope.

Tree climber 01-19-2006 05:33 PM

I use a tasco red dot and it works great. the sun doesn't matter if you looking into the setting sun.had a scope on and it was always a problem in low lite and setting sun, so I went with the red dot and love it.

Hotburn76 01-19-2006 08:58 PM

I had pins and a peep sight at first but then switched to a red dot. Used a red dot for about three years and loved it! then on my new horton supermax 175 it came with a multirange scope and I love it even more. Not sure why you are having accuracy problems.

takedownfreak123 01-20-2006 10:41 AM

i think there mite be something wrong with it then it is a simmons

ragin cajun 01-20-2006 01:07 PM

I prefer the multi reticle!

htoler 01-20-2006 02:15 PM

I shoot a TenPoint ProElite with a 3 dot red dot scope I have no problems

HuntandFish 01-21-2006 05:22 AM

Excalibur Varizone scope for me. No experience with red dots.

o2bebowhunting 01-21-2006 01:45 PM

i use a redfield wide angle 2x. those cheap scopes that come w/ the xbows do not work well at last light.

Revival 01-21-2006 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: htoler

I shoot a TenPoint ProElite with a 3 dot red dot scope I have no problems
Ditto.

I have used most others, and go back and forth between magnified and red dot. My next will be one of TenPoint's 3x Pro View. Magnified with red or green dots if desired.

Spiffy 01-21-2006 07:05 PM

I have a Bushnell sportsman Red dot.Love it and would not change to any other type of sight. Hard to beat it in my eyes.

[/align]

BuddyBo 01-22-2006 02:00 PM

I used Ten Point's red dot scope when I bought my Xbow. It was not what I needed. Old eyes like mine need magnification so I switched to Ten Point's multi retical scope at 3 power and love it. So, young bucks need red dots, old bucks need lines. LOL.

crossbuck 01-22-2006 03:01 PM

i'm a peeper but looking for an upgrade

kevin1 01-23-2006 05:27 AM

Both of mine came with red dots , one is getting switched to a multi reticle scope .

RWK 01-27-2006 06:46 PM

I put on a horton 3 dot this fall like it. The only thing i find wrong with red dots is battery life, carry spares. Rich

lemoyne 01-27-2006 08:27 PM

I have one that just super.I have another that has the same problem as your's though it is a different brand I think the prism is lose and I believe it was that way when I bought it new. Lee

rack tracker 01-27-2006 09:21 PM

My Horton Legend came w/ a 4X multi reticle and it is spot on out to 40 yrds.
Each line is exact when I practice dif. yardages,broadheads or field points. That is good enough for me seeing I will only shoot 30-35. My buddy
has a red dot on his and he says he's switching to multi next year.

RedAllison 01-28-2006 12:32 PM

I work for a Horton and Ten Point dealer. I shot everything under the sun (single red dot, magnifiedred dots,single/multireticlescopes, pins etc..) and liked the 3dot TenPoint the best (I believe TruGlo makes the sight for them). Crossbows are very accurate over 30 yards but those light bolts are GOING to start loosing velocity and begin falling. The extra dots really make longer range shooting much easier IMHO. I was already used to red dots from having them on my turkey guns over last couple of years.

For me I simply wouldn't have anything else on my Ten-Point,
RA

Spiffy 01-29-2006 03:41 PM

[/align]
[blockquote]

ORIGINAL: RWK

I put on a horton 3 dot this fall like it. The only thing i find wrong with red dots is battery life, carry spares. Rich
Do you leave yours on all the time when hunting or just turn it on when a deer is comming. I wait for a deer to turn mine on and havn't had a problem yet. Knock on wood...
[/blockquote]

vERN 01-30-2006 09:46 PM

Spiffy - You mentioned that you just turn it on when you see the deer. I turn it on when I get on the stand and adjust for brightness as the day wears on. My son does what you do and missed a dandy buck (much bigger than the one on the wall) because he gave the sight a "couple of clicks" and came up, no dot - it turns off between clicks! The buck just looked and walked away. Still walking as far as we know.
One problem with the cheaper red dots is parallex - you have to be looking from the same place each time.
Vern

Dnk 01-30-2006 10:37 PM

I tried a Bushnell Halo and didn't like it because I felt a bit distracted by the red glow. I tried the 1.5 X 6 B&L Elite and the eye relief was distracting. I settled for my Nikon 1.5 X6 30mm Gold. No critical eye relief and the field of view was superior. I guess its more about personal preference than anything else as usual. I know I don't need a "dangerous game" scope but when you put my Excalibur up I find the target instantly.

rack tracker 02-10-2006 09:14 PM

No and I don't like-em.
no need for it.
I think they block your vision a bit.
Just .02 worth