Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Camping Gear
Help Selecting Load Distribution/Sway Control >

Help Selecting Load Distribution/Sway Control

Community
Camping Gear From tents to sleeping bags to grills, you will find all of your camping needs here.

Help Selecting Load Distribution/Sway Control

Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help Selecting Load Distribution/Sway Control

New camper (to me) that weights about 4200 lbs causes my Dakota to sag pretty bad in the back. Anyone know of or use a load equalizer that isn't too expensive (say under $250) that would work well.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to post this up in the hunting gear section of the general hunting forums. I think a lot more people look there than the classifieds, might get a better response.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO that is a pretty heavy trailer to be hooking up to a Dakota without taxing the engine/transmission. If you haven't done so already, the first thing I would do is go talk to a dealer to see if the vehicle is strong enough to even tow something like that without ruining it even if you can find a decent setup to level it out. I have a Silverado 4x4 shortbed and just started towing a 19' tandem axle trailer 2 years ago that weighs a little more than what you mentioned when it's loaded and it even takes that bigger truck down a little bit, but not enough that I needed to add sway bars or an equalizer. I'm guessing that your Dakota isn't a big enough vehicle to be pulling what you bought, but I may be off base!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-31-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I had a couple extra leaf springs put into my old Cherokee for pulling a good-sized pop up. Helped quite a bit and pretty cheap. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you can find a used one somewhere you're not going to get away cheap for load levelers and sway control. And I would definitely not tow a trailer that size without them. And, depending on your model that is pushing the limits of your Dakota.
See this: http://www.new-cars.com/2004/dodge/d...er-towing.html
You can change the year but you can see the towing range varies considerably.