Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Jerkey Recipes

Old 09-23-2004, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Jerkey Recipes

Annie-

I use a brinkman electric water smoker & I love it. I make tons of jerky myself. I have tried lots of different recipes but I always go back to my tried & true. (actually it's not mine, I buy it in a kit) Check out sausagemaker.com. I have been buying stuff from them for years. I buy the "Uncle Abes" venison jerky kit. It includes everything you need to make 25 lbs. of jerky. It comes with premixed spices and "insta cure". (you need this stuff so your jerky don't spoil) Follow the directions and you will end up with great tasting jerky. I like peppered & cajun, & so I just add some to the already made spice mix. Their spice mix is a great "base" for other flavors too. The website has all kinds of jerky makin' stuff. You will love this website.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Annie,
on the food saver you need to make sure that the opening is clean from moisture and that you are not sucking moisture into the food saver itself. Me, I double seal each end and if their seems to be air in it I redo it.
For things that have lots of moisture freexe them in a zip lock bag or small containers then take it out and place in the food processing bag.
Watch the vacume chamber and keep it dry, same with the sealing strip. If they get wet/dirty they will not do a good job.
Good luck
Rick
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My venison jerky went from real bad to real good over time, every batch better than the last.

One lesson I learned was after removing the meat from the brine pat it dry with paper towel, then let it air dry till it has a shiny texture before putting it in the smoker. Also, you can overdue the smoke, an extra pan of wood chips may not be what the jerky needs.

? for y'all: my venison comes out good but I have 3 canada geese in the freezer that we didn't have time to pluck so we skinned them. I want to try making goose jerky this weekend, should I do everything the same as venison or are there any tricks for waterfowl (can geese be smoked into jerky succesfully)?

Thanks all
Old 10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Rick,
You're awesome ! Thanks. I always make sure that it's clean / dry and I've just started double sealing. I will started pre freezing stuff and then sealing.

Thanks tschaef. I learned the hard way that an extra pan of smoke is not always a good idea.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Fish Anyone?

Does anyone have a good fish jerky recipe, i am a vegitariean.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just made 8 pounds with 3 different types of the Hi-Mountain (the stuff in the "triangular" boxes) and it came out great. I have been snacking on it in the stand. Remember that "real" jery should have some form of cure. side note on the Hi-Mountaiin spices - make sure you use them up in a timely manner - I had some that was unusable because it had hardened like a rock

I have also used liquid jerky marinade and that was excellent as well
Old 10-25-2004, 06:05 PM
BS

Ghilleguy,

JUST JERKY by Mary Bell .........has nine fish recipes and a vegetarian.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:35 AM

Fish jerky can be done exactly the same way as the meat receipes. I've done sturgen and halibut and salmon and catfish and bass,ect. The one thing that I add that no one has mentioned is 1 or 2 cans of coca cola in the water pan of your smoker when you're smoking the meat or fish..... You won't believe how good it taste after it's all smoked and ready to eat!!!!