HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Catfish? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/68557-catfish.html)

8mm/06 08-09-2004 07:37 AM

Catfish?

What are some of your favorite ways to prepare frsh catfish? And after it has been frozen, is there any special tips when preparing after thawing?

Tree climber 08-09-2004 09:01 PM

RE: Catfish?

fresh ; I take them if they are small ( up to 10 to 12") salt pepper Everglases seasoning , lowyers season. roll in fresh corn meal and deep fry in hog lard till they float and turn golden brown.[8D][8D][8D]:D

Frozen it about the same way,just make sure they have all the frozen water out of them,then the same way.

If they have been frozen over 2 mo's. (and not been frozen in water)they are not for me![:'(][&:]

young_gun 08-09-2004 10:42 PM

we ussually cut them into chunks and bread them im cracker crumbs and eggs and salt and pepper and them deep fat fry them

kevin1 08-10-2004 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: young_gun

we ussually cut them into chunks and bread them im cracker crumbs and eggs and salt and pepper and them deep fat fry them
Same here , my family loves it this way .

Bldhound 08-10-2004 02:15 PM

Little bit of salt, pepper & cornmeal in a bag then shake................then they go into the deep fry. Then you cook your hush puppies after the fish to give them a lil extra flavor.

farmcntry 08-10-2004 05:19 PM

Depends on the cafish.

Blues and flatheads get salt, pepper, cornmeal/flour mix and deep fried.

Mud and yellow cats get salt, pepper, cornmeal only and fried in frying pan.

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-10-2004 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

fresh ; I take them if they are small ( up to 10 to 12") salt pepper Everglases seasoning , lawyers season. roll in fresh corn meal and deep fry in hog lard till they float and turn golden brown.[8D][8D][8D]:D

Frozen it about the same way,just make sure they have all the frozen water out of them,then the same way.

If they have been frozen over 2 mo's. (and not been frozen in water)they are not for me![:'(][&:]
same here but i like to use tony cacheries(sp?) creole seasoning to

Christine B 08-11-2004 12:00 AM

Easy!! I used to use some of the above methods and loved it. However, If none of you have tried it yet get some Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri....
Get that deep fryer going with Crisco in the "can" not oil and go to town! Melts in your mouth and is the best I have ever had. No need to egg and water coat if you do not want to, I usually just rinse and then shake in the mix. Dang my mouth is watering right now for some fresh fried catfish and hushpuppies!!!:D As my son would say " Now, that is yummy good!"

DearSlayer357 08-12-2004 11:12 AM

Put the fish in an eggwash roll then in a mixture of flour and corn meal. Fry em salt and pepper em untill there golden brown.

AJ52 08-26-2004 09:15 AM

Catfish - One of the finest eaten fresh water fish out there.

If caught fresh I soak them in salt water overnight. Pat dry in paper towel.

1. I mix to taste garlic powder with cormeal along with your favorite cajun seasoning. I like "Tony Chackers" Creole Seasoning. Roll fish in egg wash and then cornmeal mixture. Cook it up in skillet and serve with lemon juice,freshed cracked pepper and salt. Good Eats!

2. I've never tryed this on catfish but it's some kinda good on Salmon,Perch.

3 tbls light brown surgar
1 tabls honey
2 tbls butter
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tbls soy sauce
2 tabls EVO (olive oil) - or - conola oil
1 tbls ginger (you can skip this if desired)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
melt brown surgar,honey,butter in small pan over med heat.
remove from heat.mix in soy sauce,mustard,olive oil,ginger. set aside.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
brush fish with vegtable oil,season with salt ,pepper.
place the fish in skillet over med heat. brush the brown surgar mixture on both sides of fish as it cooks. Don't overcook or brown surgar mixture will burn.

This is mighty fine eaten - try it you'll like it, or I'll buy you something nice.

James B 08-31-2004 10:22 PM

I just shake the fish in a bag of flour and corn meal then deep fry. I sometimes just steam them and dip in hot butter.

jerseyhunter 09-01-2004 12:15 PM

Mix a little lemon pepper into your flour, coat then fry as you would. I prefer fried in butter.:) but deep fried is fine too, although I never tried it that way with the lemon pepper, I think it would burn.

smokpole 09-21-2004 02:15 PM

I'll side with Christine, I've been using Zatarins on all my fish for several years now and it's hard to beat. I will dip them in a mixture of milk and egg b/f I dust them, but it's not necessary. They also have a cajun seasoning that's pretty good.

larry39040 12-12-2004 12:43 AM

Christine, you are so right about the Zattarains! I use peanut oil in the fryer. I have been meaning to tell you that because of you I canned some deer and now I have created a monster. Everybody that eats it wants a jar. I can't keep the stuff! One person even bought the jars and showed up at my door with the jars and a freshly killed deer. All jokes aside it is the only way to go as far as stew meat is concerned. Thanks for the info.

Christine B 12-12-2004 04:36 AM

Thanks guys.:) Its the best catfish I've ever had and I love catfish!!

Larry, Welcome to the board! Nice to see you posting. Canned deer meat when done right is hard to beat. I'm just happy that another was able to benefit from what I posted. Experiment from time to time when you do your canning. My personal favorite is quite simply a teaspoon of salt and 1 or 2 garlic cloves. :)

8mm/06 12-12-2004 12:04 PM

Christine...I could probably do a search and find it..but can you do a cut and past of any post you did outlining your method and steps for canning deer meat...
and must it be done with feash veinison...or would frozen and then thawed meat do just as well?
Thanks

larry39040 12-12-2004 10:22 PM

8mm/06,

I am not Christine, but I can tell you for a fact that you can use frozen as well as fresh deer meat for canning. The first I canned had been vacuumed sealed and frozen. Turned out perfect. Today I canned 14 quarts. I used fresh for 12 jars and frozen for 2 jars. My canner holds 7 quarts so I needed two more jars to make a full load. I don't put any seasoning in it. I season it however I want when I open the jar. I am going to try to do at least 50 jars(one a week in case Bin Laden turns the lights out- Ha).

JeffS 12-22-2004 07:59 AM

First soak the fillets in Louisiana hot sauce for about 2 hours, then roll them in Zatarains and deep fry them peanut oil. It gives them a good spicy flavor but it is not hot.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 12-22-2004 10:20 AM

God made fish for catching and catfish for eating!!

I use the Louisianna Hot Sauce but had never used Zataran's. Did it this weekend and I am converted!!