Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 I need help with Venison crock pot recipes >

I need help with Venison crock pot recipes

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

I need help with Venison crock pot recipes

Old 01-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Spike

Default I need help with Venison crock pot recipes

I probably shouldn't have consulted a recipe book before I tried venison in a slow cooker for the first time. I took a couple of packages of tenderloin out yesterday morning and added a can of cream of mushroom and garlic soup along with a can and a half of water. I also threw some assorted seasonings in (lemon pepper, hot peppers, montreal steak seasoning). I set it on low and let it go until I got home from work which was about 9 hours later. It wasn't the mouth watering taste I was expecting. The venison seemed dried out and didn't have a lot of taste. It was edible, but I had to add some bbq sauce to it. It's definately at the bottom of my list of ways to make venison right now. Can anybody give me some hints as to how to do this better? Did I simply cook it too long?? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need help with Venison crock pot recipes

May have cooked it too long. Also along with the cans of soup, did you add water?

In a crock I put cream of mushroom soup, water, and only leave it on for about 4 hours.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Spike

Farmcntry - yeah, I added a can and half of water and there was a lot of "juice" in the crock, but from what you've said I must have overcooked. Anybody else got any good recipes for what to throw in the crock besides cream of mushroom soup? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:29 AM

sometimes the acid in cream soup can a negative taste on red meats, why I don't know, what you might try is to slow cook the venison in some type of broth or water with the seaonings you like and add the soup to the mix the last half hour or so. venison has it's best flavor when cooked with a little red to pink color to it not all the way done....
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any loin-style cut of meat is not meant to be slow-cooked. I've found that they dry out too much.

Try the same thing with a venison rump roast and I bet your results will be different.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes.

Put a roast in there, along with two cups of water, a packet of Lipton Onion Soup, one onion, a few potatoes and carrots and set on low for 8 hours or until whenever you get home. It is great! Tastes just like a beef roast.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do the same as Doug, but also.....take everything out of crockpot except the juice when finished cooking. Make a small paste with flour and water, add to hot liquid, stirring constantly until thickened. That and the onion soup make a real nice gravy to go with the roast.

Ron
Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 AM

we take the neck and put it in the crock,with an onion,a carrot,and seasonings.let it cook overnight.
Take it out,it will be off the bones,drain chop,ad BBQ sauace and put in iron skillet and into the oven for just a few min.makes "Great Sandwiches"

you can also take it out of the crock and remove bones,and veggies,soups and make a great stew.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tree Climber...How well to you clean up the neck before doing that? In other words, do you take the time to remove ALL fat & connective tissue...or just obvious chunks. I've always ground the neck, but keep hearing good things about it.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:58 PM

Pro-Line ; I just cut the neck bone and all into , a whole neck want fit into our crock pot. then we put 1/2 the neck into the pot. we do not cut the meat off or remove any of the grissel.you can remove it after the cooking is done.the fat will come to the top,and the grissel is easy to see.all that is left is a real dark brown meat.

we usually take 6 to 8 deer a year,so we only save about 3 for BBQ ; that makes us 6 meals.the rest we grind with the other burger.

it make some of the best BBQ you have ever tasted.

Quick Reply: I need help with Venison crock pot recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.