Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Difficulty stuffing meat sticks. >

Difficulty stuffing meat sticks.

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Difficulty stuffing meat sticks.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Difficulty stuffing meat sticks.

Folks I am just new to the sausage and meat stick making art. I made some venison sausages earlier this fall with no problems. Other than being a little dry because I didn't put in enough pork in them, they were good.

Today the Wife and I made venison/beef meat sticks. We are using an electric meat grinder from Cabelas (Model 54-0708) and used what they call the snack funnel and collagen casings.

I found it was really hard to push the meat mix down thru the meat grinder (no blade just sausage stuffing ring). I had to really push down hard on the meat stomper and got tired. I am glad I only made 5lbs. We put some more water into our meat mixture but it was still hard, The Wife wouldn't let me put in more water.

Do any of your experienced meat snack artists have any idea why it was so hard to get the mixture thru the meat grinder and into the snack (pepperette) casings? I personally think we needed more liquid.

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Meat sticks

I use a 5# hand crank stuffer,the sticks still a pain to stuff. Have wife help pull the casings as they are filling. I tried a grinder and didn't have much luck with it eitherQUOTE=Muskyhunter1;4408597]Folks I am just new to the sausage and meat stick making art. I made some venison sausages earlier this fall with no problems. Other than being a little dry because I didn't put in enough pork in them, they were good.

Today the Wife and I made venison/beef meat sticks. We are using an electric meat grinder from Cabelas (Model 54-0708) and used what they call the snack funnel and collagen casings.

I found it was really hard to push the meat mix down thru the meat grinder (no blade just sausage stuffing ring). I had to really push down hard on the meat stomper and got tired. I am glad I only made 5lbs. We put some more water into our meat mixture but it was still hard, The Wife wouldn't let me put in more water.

Do any of your experienced meat snack artists have any idea why it was so hard to get the mixture thru the meat grinder and into the snack (pepperette) casings? I personally think we needed more liquid.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]
Old 01-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

The snack sticks can be a pain for sure especially if adding dried jalapeno and cheese. You might want to try a slightly larger funnel. I have been using a 1/2" funnel for use with 19mm collagen casings but I might up the size just a touch to 21 mm. I have liked the snack sticks so well I actually ground up the 5 deer I have taken this year except for the backstraps and neck roasts.

As far as the pork I used and 80/20 ratio (probably a touch less on the fat). I ground up a pork loin roast with a good fat cap that I used for the 20%. After stuffing I let sit while the smoker comes up to 165 as this gives the casings time to dry. (dry casings accept smoke better) Then smoke for 3 hrs, If internal temp has not reached 155 raise temp to 225 then pull from smoker at the 155 internal temp and place in ice water bath, once cooled lay out to completely dry before packaging.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Grinders are not the best bet for stuffing anything, Geta good sausage stuffer !!! Works like a charm