Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Sausage conundrum

Old 02-17-2021, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

I82MUCH fill us in on your sausage project when your done? Glad to have you in the ranks of sausage makers,, next up, try smoking your sausages !!!!!!!! MMMM GOOD
Old 02-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Spike

Well I just ground up my first batch. I am pretty tolerant of food that isn't the most appetizing, so I am sure it will go down just fine. But I definitely learned a few things. Need to do a better job trimming the sinew first, and need some bigger bowls, scale, and some measuring spoons.

I think I have a new hobby, kinda cool to do something hunting-related this long after the season ends.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I won't say that I enjoy the processing as much as the hunt itself .... But I really enjoy processing game.

We make allot of jerky, breakfast sausage, and I can allot of venison as well. I enjoy the process. And it's rewarding to eat.

One thing I've changed over the years with my grind meat is how well I trim stuff. I used to do like allot of people do and my grind pile was kinda like the scrap pile. The quality reflected that. Now I'm very careful what I grind and trim everything as clean as I can reasonably get it. Quality over quantity. I'm not starving to death so I can afford to trim off the less desirable stuff-not wasteful, but only using good clean trimmed meat.

-Jake
Old 02-18-2021, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yup ! Trimming well is a key to quality control and great taste, Now that I am retired, almost 3 years now, I really enjoy taking the time to create my own sausages of all kinds, the 2 deer I killed are all now processed, except 1 neck roast, I have smoked jerky, smoked Ground venison bacon, Smoked summer sausage, Bratwurst, Breakfast sausages, The smoked ground venision sausage is new this year, Unbelievably great, Will not purchase store bacon any,longer,
Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Spike

ok so the sausage definitely tastes good. i didn’t even bother to make patties out of it, just kind of fried it up loose. i went a little heavier with adding pork fat but the stuff i bought had some lean in it so probably was about 70/30 or so.

i need to put a little effort into weighing the meat and fat and measuring the seasoning to get this perfect, but all things considered i was pretty pleased. thanks all!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations I 8 2 Much ! Welcome to the fraternity of sausage makers, Yes this is the best way to learn and get it the way you like it,
Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Spike

Thanks! Had it for the third time this morning, went a little heavier on the seasoning and it was pretty good. If I can work on my presentation I might even talk my wife and kids into it one of these days, lol!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Spike

Glad to hear it worked out. We mix our sausage 50% deer and 50% 80/20 pork. We are very picky when trimming as well. Deer fat is not good tasting fat so be picky when cleaning it up. We normally make around 600lbs of sausage, burgers, pepperoni each year and have managed a number of good recipes over the years so if you ever want a couple let me know! As I’m sure many on here would agree the best part of making sausage is the taste testing so make sure you have hot grill ready and the sharing of all the hunting memories from years past and the new ones made. Also nice to mix in a couple cigars!

Last edited by zcilahim; 02-22-2021 at 06:02 PM.