Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Goose Recipe for Bocajnala

Old 01-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Goose Recipe for Bocajnala

Jake,

This is by far my favorite recipe for goose breast. The recipe below is designed for beef tenderloin. It is said ribeye will work. But, I only recommend tenderloin. The recipe was developed in the 1960's at a local restaurant in my small IL hometown. The chef created this recipe to cook the tenderloin trimmings after cutting the filets. He named it "beef tips" or something similar until a patron from Texas tasted the dish and stated it reminded him of rattlesnake. The new name stuck. The restaurant experienced huge success for decades until new ownership could not repeat the menu. My go to was a large rattlesnake appetizer and pepper loin main course. Pepper loin was a sliced, Kansas City cut strip covered in peppercorns served with a mustard based dipping sauce.

Many locals have the rattlesnake dipping sauce recipe. Most recipes are similar. But, all seem to differ a bit as the recipe was "secret" for many years. I have acquired maybe ten versions over my lifetime. I am still searching for the pepper loin mustard sauce recipe. I have one, but it is not what I remember.

The son of the recipe creator posted the original recipe on FB. I know him and believe it to be factual. Who really knows?.?.? Since he posted it on FB, I am going to share it here. I have used both beef and goose. When using goose, I call it "Rattlegoose". The butter sauce is the key to the dish. You will not be disappointed. Do not overcook whichever meat you choose. I cut the goose breast into strips and soak them in water for days to remove blood. I like to cut the meat into 1.5 inch cubes. This allows for a medium to medium rare product. Small pieces will be well done. Choose accordingly.
Glades Rattlesnake
Marinade

· 2 cups buttermilk

· 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

· ½ teaspoon salt

· ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

· ¼ teaspoon Accent (MSG)

· ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper – fine grind

· ¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Let meat soak six hours minimum or overnight. Drain meat. Discard marinade.

Breading Station

Beat one egg with one tablespoon of water. Put ½ cup all purpose flour in Pan #1. Pancake mix may be substituted for flour. Put ¾ cup Golden Dipt All Purpose Breading Mix in Pan #2. Lightly coat meat in flour. Shake off as much flour as possible. Quickly dip in egg wash then coat well in breading mix. Allow to set a few minutes before putting in oil.

Fry meat in cast iron skillet with one to one and a half inches of quality cooking oil or in a deep fryer. Heat oil to 365 degrees. Flash fry until breading is set. Approximately two minutes.

Dipping sauce

· One pound unsalted butter, melted

· ½ cup soy sauce

· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

· 1 teaspoon garlic powder

· 1 teaspoon curry powder

· ½ teaspoon chili powder

· ½ teaspoon paprika

· ¼ teaspoon Maggi seasoning

Mix all ingredients except melted butter. Bring to quick boil. Remove from heat. Put in large bowl. Whisk all ingredients until dissolved. Slowly add melted butter while whisking vigorously. Sauce is ready when light colored froth appears on top.

p.s. Extra butter sauce freezes well. Butter sauce works well brushed on any grilled steak.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

That sounds tasty. Now I need a goose.
-Jake