Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Elk/Venison/Pronghorn scallopini >

Elk/Venison/Pronghorn scallopini

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Elk/Venison/Pronghorn scallopini

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Elk/Venison/Pronghorn scallopini

I cooked elk scallopini for guests this past Saturday night and they loved it. Here is my recipe:

2 LBS meat (preferably a chunk of leg roast)
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup dry white wine (chardonnay or sauvignon blanc)
1 or 2 shallots
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
chopped fresh parsley
flour, salt, pepper

Boil the white wine in a pot to reduce it in volume, concentrating flavour. Reduce to about 1/4 cup or just a little less. Cover and set aside. Peel and chop the shallots and set aside covered. Mince about 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley and set aside covered.

Slice the meat into thin (1/4" thick or thinner) slices. It is best to have these slices 2" x 2" in size or 2" x 3" in size. If they are bigger, just cut them in half. Pound these slices of meat thinner with a meat mallet. Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. I tend to layout a big sheet of butcher paper, plastic side up, and put the meat on this.

Melt 1/2 the butter in a wide skillet that you can add the wine and lemon juice to (non-reactive surface). Add half the olive oil. Stir the butter and olive oil together well. Dredge half of the salted and peppered meat in flour on both sides. Sautee in the butter-oil mix on medium to high heat for 90 seconds per side. Remove to a warm plate. Put the rest of the butter and oil in the skillet. Dredge the rest of the salted and peppered meat in the flour on both sides. Cook the rest of the meat in the butter-oil mix on medium to high heat for 90 seconds per side. I have described two "flights" of meat sautéed in the skillet. If you have to use three "flights," no problem, but allocate your butter-oil mix accordingly. Remove the meat and keep warm.

When all the meat is cooked, add the chopped shallots to the skillet and sautee over medium heat for 2 minutes while stirring. If the skillet is dry, add more butter and oil before adding the shallots. After the shallots have cooked, add in the reduced white wine. Put the fresh squeezed lemon juice in. Stir together. Add the heavy cream. Stir together. Bring to the boil and cook until it reaches the amount of thickness you like.

Serve the meat on plates. Spoon sauce over the meat. Sprinkle chopped parsley on the meat. Server. I like to serve this with cooked rice and cooked green peas. You could put the meat on a serving platter, spoon the sauce over the meat, and sprinkle parsley on the platter of meat if you prefer to serve "family style" with food on the table to be passed around.

This is very good. I've done it with elk, venison, and pronghorn, and it was great with all those meats. It probably works well with other game meat. I have given kind of finicky instructions to provide good advice, but you need not follow this recipe slavishly. For example, the size of the pieces of meat is not critical. It just is easier trying to get the meat into the skillet to cook if the pieces aren't too big. Use enough butter-oil mix to cook. If you use more or less than I have mentioned, that is OK. You can use more or less lemon juice and shallot. I seldom measure when I cook this, but it always comes out good.

Last edited by Alsatian; 08-14-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for the recipe. That sounds great! Will be trying it soon.