Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

My deer meat froze . . .

Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default My deer meat froze . . .

I had deer meat (de-boned) in my old fridge to age and the meat froze! Will it be O.K. to thaw it out, cut it up, and refreeze it without any detrimental effects on taste or texture or our health? I always use a Foodsaver vacuum system to package and freeze.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Most years I freeze our burger meat until the end of the season then grind it all at once. Have had no issues doing this and it seems to grind better when it's cold. I don't think you'll have any problems.
-Jake
Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always freeze muscle cuts, then grind as needed and re-freeze. Besides it's easier to cut into steaks when partially frozen.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 AM
Banned

After some Googleing . . . it apears there is no 'health' issues, just that the meat might suffer in the taste and texture area. Due to freezing/re-freezing. So I guess I'm good to go!
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Spike

I have had this happen many times when hanging a late season deer up here in Vermont. I have never noticed any difference in taste at all.