Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canning Venison

Old 09-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Canning Venison

I'm thinking of canning some venison this fall since freezer space is a little tight. I've looked up a bunch of info on the web and it seems fairly simple and straightforward. I'm curious is any other members do this and if they have any particular recipes or methods they would like to share?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We can all kinds of fish and meat. I do like to stew some of the older bucks and does to tenderize the meat first.
Keeps way longer and better than freezer meat but it does taste different.

Al
Old 09-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flags, I do things a little different than most. I cut the meat up into cubes, add salt pepper, onion powder, garlic, crushed (powdered) celery seed, and let that sit for about an hour. Then I lightly dust them with flour, heat up a little oil in a really BIG iron skillet (18 inch) and brown it off quick on fairly high heat. Then I put all the meat, after draining all oil I can out, into a crock pot, add some beef stock ( I use Swansons) and cook on low for about 8 hours. Then put the meat and liquid in your jars while still good and hot then follow your canners directions. Mine is 75 minutes for pint size jars and 90 for quart. I made some of both. I have to say, it came out fantastic. Much better than frozen.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't done it but hear great things. Modern day seems to go the frozen way but the old timers around here are really into canning probably because they didn't have refrigerators or freezers when they were young. It always scared me a little but one of these days I might try it. We have 5 freezers here at the house. There are 2 in the garage that are combo fridge / freezer one of which is my bait place and the other is mostly soft drinks, beer and storage for stuff taken out of the gardens. We have a side by side in the kitchen and that stores all the stuff we are going to use sooner than later. The two full sized freezers in the cellar are for all the frozen veggies and fruits from the gardens/ orchard and the other is normally filled with ocean fish and venison. Getting low on the vennie right now and until my recent surgery was planning on filling this fall with killed deer. That probably won't happen due to post operative restrictions so either family and friends will get me a couple of deer or we will buy a cow. Beef isn't on par with venison though so I will be suffering.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This past year was actually the first time I'd tried it CI. I, like you, was a little scared but I have to admit it came out great! When using my method, it does help to have 2 5 gallon crock pots My wife has been canning veggies for years so we had the canning stuff but she thought I was off me rocker when I said I was gonna can one of the deer my kids brought me I figured that chewy old Buck me daughter got was the perfect candidate for the crock method. Lord knows that thing was only fit for burger or LOOOONNNNGGGGGG stewing. Dang near needed a chain saw to cut the bugger up!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess I might try it. If you being slightly older and on the same level of being set in your own ways can move on it I should follow the leader.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

The best venison I've ate is canned. There are lots of recipes online. try them out and see what you like... I like to cube the meat up, throw in some onion, mushrooms, whatever seasonings you like. Then I use them over noodles. Or you can bread and fry them, or just heat them up and eat it. Good, tender, flavorful
-Jake
Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Spike

I follow the directions in the ball canning book. " the blue book of canning"

John
Old 10-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I cubed and canned venison the last two seasons. I cut the meat into cubes a couple inches square. I put 1 beef bullion cube in each jar and I add a little beef broth also. It doesn't take much as the meat will make its own juice. This year I might try to can some with some more complex recipes. Meat comes out tender, like a good pot roast. I used it in noodles, stroganoff, and make wraps with it also.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

We sell an AuJus base you use instead of canning salt. Makes any wild game taste like beef roast. If you call 800 762 6689 ask for Ben he can get you what you need plus send some written instructions for you. Also look on our facebook page FriscoSpices and you will see least week we did a 3 or 4 day info post about this very subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.