Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
how to make j=home made summer sausage >

how to make j=home made summer sausage

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

how to make j=home made summer sausage

Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default how to make j=home made summer sausage

O.K. I am new here ! I just purchased an electric meat smoker after I quit paying the big bucks to get summer sausage made at the locker plant---I am looking for seasonin ingredients for garlic summer sausage no I do not wish to buy a packet I am looking to make my own anybody got any ?? TX H H
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You will save yourself a lot of grief by buying prepackaged seasonings and cures for your venison summer sausage. There are a bunch of guys here that make it who can make recommendations on which brand to use. I am eating some now( summer sausage w/ garlic) that a friend made and it is outstanding, so good in fact that I am having him make some for me from meat from my bison I took in Oct. No sense playing around and taking a chance on ruining and wasting good meat when someone else has done the figuring for you. He used a big electric smoker btw.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Summer Sausage
For 10 lbs
1 Tbls ground black pepper
5 Tbls kosher salt
4 Tbls powdered Dextrose
2 tsp insta cure no1
1 Tbls ground Coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder(opt.)
6 Tbls corn syrup solids
8lbs venison
2 lbs pork trimmings /fat

Chill all meat and fat till almost ice crystals form, grind through 3/16'plate, fat to be ground separate through a 1/2' plate or cut into cubes. Mix all thoroughly adding the rest of the ingredients. Let sit a day or 2 then regrind with the 3/16 plate.
Stuff into 2 1/2- 2 3/4" beef middles or fibrous casings.
Dry at room temp for 4-5 hours, place in preheated smoker at 120-130* Apply heavy smoke for 3-4 hours, raise temp to 165* till internal reaches 145* then shower with cold water to drop temp. to at least 120*. hang at room temp for 1-2 hours. Then chill in fridge for 24hrs before slicing or storing/freezing.

Or go with a kit, they contain the casings etc..

He wanted garlic in his summer sausage.
My recipe calls for garlic powder(opt) or Add garlic coves to taste when grinding

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 03-05-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jersey hunter sounds good H H
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

If you call us and place an order for one of our sausage mixes we can give you detailed instructions on drying smoking and cook the summer sausage to perfection. We have 2 different summer sausage recipes and 3 different salami recipes available for purchase. All the ingredients and direction on the bag for easy use. Give Ben a call and asjk him to throw in the tips pamphlet we give out at the show's. He would be happy to help. If you have any specific questions or concerns we are only a phone call away. Mike or Ben 800-762-6689.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you Friscospices will check you out H H
Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
O.K. I am new here ! I just purchased an electric meat smoker after I quit paying the big bucks to get summer sausage made at the locker plant---I am looking for seasonin ingredients for garlic summer sausage no I do not wish to buy a packet I am looking to make my own anybody got any ?? TX H H
Electric smoker? No, try a real fire wood smoker, Hickory, White-Oak, Apple, Cherry, ect.