Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Skinning with a air compressor

Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Skinning with a air compressor

Have any of you guys ever used an air compressor to skin out a deer or other animal? I saw it on YT last night. The videos left out how much pressure you need.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen it done on a video. Just another gimmick as far as I am concerned, invented by weak men. . If you skin your deer when it has body heat in it, it pretty much skins like a big rabbit.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

We power skin them shortly after shooting them with s truck or 4wheeler. When I'm on my A game,its around a 5 minute job. I read about it in one of the hunting mags in the 90's,but YouTube has some good videos on it. Whatever you do just don't let the hide freeze. You turn an easy job into a pain in the a$$s..
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 AM
Spike

Default Air Compressor Skinning

From what I understand, you want 100 to 120 psi. There's even kits you can buy for it with special needles to use for various game. Probably great for commercial processors, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually done it too...

I've been considering this process for a while, but haven't actually tried it yet. Mostly because I skin and quarter my deer while at camp, where I have no compressor (and only off-grid battery power). Also, because I only take a few deer a year - I think the real benefit here is volume, if you have a ton of deer to skin, you want to save as much time as you can.