Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Osso Buco

Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Venison Osso Buco

I hate grinding up shanks. They are a paint to clean up and they get my blades all gunky. So I froze them whole and then cut them into 3" chunks and made Osso Buco. Never again will I grind a shank! Sooooo good!

http://muzzyuniversity.wordpress.com...son-osso-buco/

You will need a dutch oven. I used a 6 quart which seems to be perfect.

Shanks. You will want at least two shanks. The rear shanks have more meat than the front. It is easiest to cut the shanks when they are frozen. using a hacksaw cut the shanks into 3″ chunks. Cut off the narrow ends of the shank first since you’ll need enough base on each end of the shank to have it stand on its own while browning.

Ingredients:

2-4 venison shanks – depending on the number of servings you want. I used 3. Cut into 3″ chunks. Tie with kitchen twine to ensure the meat stays on the bone.

Flour

Salt

Pepper

2 bay leaves

1 can diced tomatoes

2 celery stalks chopped

1 onion chopped

2 carrots chopped

2 garlic cloves minced

2 cups red wine

2 cups beef broth

Vegetable oil – enough for 1/4″ at the bottom of the dutch oven

Directions

0. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1. Over medium high heat, add the oil to the dutch oven

2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the shanks on all sides.

3. Once oil is hot, add shanks – cut side down. Brown 3-4 minutes then brown the other side.

4. Once shanks have been browned on both sides, remove from dutch oven. Drain off excess oil except for 2 tablespoons.

5. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery. Sautee for 2-3 minutes.

6. Add shanks back in, cut side down.

7. Add in diced tomatoes, broth, red wine, and bay leaves. You should have just enough liquid to where the shanks are not fully submerged. The very tops of the shanks should be visible. Cover and bring to a simmer.

8. Once you have brought it to a simmer, move dutch oven to the oven.

9. Allow the delectable mixture to braise for 3-4 hours. Check every hour to ensure there is still enough liquid. If not, add more broth or water.

10. Remove from oven, carefully remove shanks and set aside. Strain the vegetables from the liquid. Simmer on the stove top uncovered to reduce the liquid.

11. Reduce heat and add shanks back to the pot to cover in sauce.

Plate the shanks over couscous, rice, polenta, mashed potatoes, or you can even toss with pasta.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks great, you can leave them whole and make them like lamb shanks. Our recipes are very similar