Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Squirrel pot pie.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Squirrel pot pie.

For me it is hard to tell some middle age squirrels from some so old they draw a pention. To combat the tough dryness and doing some thng different than a stew I did this one and like it.
I admit it is on the costly side and I omit the lemon juice.

Squirrel Pot Pie

3 ea Squirrels; substitute rabbit or other small game or fowl
Marinade (recipe below)
2 sl Bacon or salt pork, about 1/2" thick
2 T Flour
1 t Salt
1/2 t Freshly ground black pepper
1 ea Onion
1 t Cornstarch or 1 tsp flour and 1 tsp butter
6-8 biscuits or 1 1/2 c. coarse dry breadcrumbs

MARINADEFor very dry game meats such as mature deer or antelope; for commercial meats such as lamb. Also for small game, upland birds.) 1/2 c. peanut oil 1 c. dry vermouth 1/2 c. brandy 1 lemon, or 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 crushed and crumbled bay leaf 2 cups cool water Blend the liquids for the marinade in blender thoroughly; if whole lemon is used, roll it under your hand on a firm, flat surface, then slice very thinly and add with bay leaf. Stir this marinade often as it is being used as it tends to separate. Marinate thin cuts at least 2 hours, turning occasionally. Thick cuts such as roasts require at least 6 hours or overnight. If marinating overnight, be sure there is enough marinade to cover the roast completely. DIRECTIONS: Cut squirrels into serving sized pieces and marinate 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Drain and blot dry. Chop bacon or salt pork coarsely and saute it in skillet until it begins to brown. Mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge meat in mixture, coating each piece thoroughly. Brown meat in skillet with the bacon. Pour hot water over the meat, covering it completely. Cover and simmer over slow heat 45 min. or until tender. Remove meat to a hot platter, draining pan juices back into skillet. Bring liquid to a boil. Chop onions to a fine dice or grate it and add to pan liquids. Cook 5 minutes until omnion is tender. Test and adjust seasonings. Add cornstarch to cold water and stir into a thin paste. Blend it into the liquid or blend flour and butter into smooth paste and flake into pan, stirring to a smooth gravy. Return the pieces of meat to the pan for a few minutes. Remove from heat, splt the biscuits and top the dish with them. Alternatively, you may sprinkle a thick coating of coars dry bread crumbs over the top. Yield: 4-6 servings

Al
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

they're old when the tail pulls off, use a pressure cooker for 25 minutes for cooking/baking
40 minutes for frying they'll be tender as can be. recipe looks good.
RR
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Spike

Sounds pretty good. We only ever ate squirrel fried. I've got a peach tree that needs protecting, so this could happen soon.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

i made a squirrel pie a couple years ago using a shepards pie recipe. Construction wise it came out awesome, just like a really good pot pie, but didnt spice it enough and it was a little bland.