Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Bear Jerky

Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Jerky

Can you make bear jerky safely? I read that you have to cook to well done to avoid trichinosis. Does dehydrating make it safe to eat? Or should I just make the ground-type jerky and cook in the smoker?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't risk it. Jerking meat is simply removing the moisture. It won't get hot enough to kill anything like trichinosis. I've always been told that bear and pork need to be fully cooked. I like bear meat but I wouldn't take a chance with making jerky out of it. But, that's me.

According to Wikipedia, the following precautions need to be taken: "All meat (including pork) can be safely prepared by cooking to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) or more"... The question is, if your temp is high enough to kill trichinosis then are you cooking the meat and not simply drying it for jerky?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I made jerky from bear and turkey this year with no problem. My dehydrater works at 165 degrees so in theory it should kill it off. If you use a smoker set it at 165 and keep a very close eye on it. With a dehydrater it takes about 5 hours to make with the smoker it took just a tad under 4. I like the taste out of the smoker better. Even without using wood chip it still puts just a hint of smoke in it for some extra taste.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used Hi Mountain Jerky Cure on a bear I shot a few years ago. It turned out great. I surprised a few people.

Ron
Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yes you can. We use our Hell's Creek Jerky mix from FriscoSpices.com. When ever I make jerky with bear meat I always dehydrate it about half way then remove from the dehydratore and finish in the oven at 175 degree's. That way its fully cooked, and if you like a smoked flavor we also sell smoke powder you add to the seasoning. this gives a good smoke flavor, with no bitterness like liquide smoke gives. You do want to bring the meat temp up to 155 just to be safe.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eatin plenty of jerked bear so far so good. Can't tell ya if temp was raised to said safe level or not. Having lived in ME for 6 years I never said no to an open bag of bear jerky. ( never asked how prepared )
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I have a Bradley smoker that also acts as a mini-oven. I could dehydrate, smoke and cook. We'll see how far I get. Working on a sauer braten roast now.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read somewhere on some site where you make the jerky as normal , then after it is done and dried you put it in an oven and bring it up to temp (165) it should happen quick as it's already dried. This way you kill any bacteria and the jerky is already dried so it cannot cook, just gets hot.