Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Whitetail hindquarter

Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Spike

Default Whitetail hindquarter

Hey guy and girls. I have killed a 10 point whitetail deer today and i am looking for some recipes for the hindquarter. I am looking for something that is good on the grill. I killed another deer earlier this year, we soaked it in worshiure sauce, orange juice, and itailian dressing overnight. By the way we butterflyed the hindquarter. So the next day we stuffed bacon jalopeno peppers and cream cheese in the butterflyed hindquarter.we then closed it up and then cooked it up on the grill and it was good overall. I wish it would turn out with more moisture though but thats deer meat i guess. But if yall have any recipes for cooking whitetail hindquarter on the grill please share. If we try it i will respond on how it turned out. Happy new years and happy hunting yall.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Do you have access to a smoker? While it wont make the meat incredibly moist its the best way to keep it somewhat juicy IMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use more bacon and cut back on the cooking time. If it's dry, you overcooked it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Spike

Well we may have to try a smoker and it took 5 hours to cook and the meat was still a little red. Do yall like the recipe itself. By the way a good side is when you cut the jalopeno pepper in half take the seeds out, stuff it with cream cheese and wrap it with bacon then grill it when it looks done.ill even take that back you can eat that by itself.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a larding needle. They let you put strips of fat or bacon through large chunks of meat. As the meat cooks the fat melts into the meat and makes it moist. Here's a link to show what I'm talking about:

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...ing-needle.asp
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once the outside is seared well, you could try wrapping it in foil to retain the moisture (my guess - the last few hrs). You will also end up with the natural cooked juices when you do pull it off.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Spike

The best venison hind quarter we ever did at our camp-years ago- was a medium size Doe, tree stand shot, not dog drive, that we soaked in brined water over night, then scored with a sharp knife. Jalapeņo pepper slices were liberally inserted into the cuts as were garlic cloves and onion slices. The whole quarter was covered with bacon slices and cooked on indirect heat from 5AM until lunch. Then it was placed on a rack on a cookie sheet filled with a mixture of olive oil, vinegar and citrus juices and covered in foil-tented. More wood was added to the grill box and when the hunters came back to camp for dinner it was served. Meat temp in thickest part was about 145 and it fell off the bone. Tender, savory few scraps left for dogs.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

i puy salt and pepper on my whitetail and put it on the grill and cook it medium rare. you have to cook whitetail for less time and expect it to be red. if you cook it thru it gets nasty.